VMware Cloud Community
koupr01
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Orchestrator Developer's Guide question

Hello,

I am trying to develop my own web view and have problems finding a proper API documentation. The vCO developer's guide () refers on page 204 to a "Orchestrator Web view API" and to a "Orchestrator Web services API" on the same page.

My question is - where can I find the description for this API? Where can I find a documentation for let's say the WorkflowLink class which is mentioned on the very same page in the developers guide? I have already searched google and also used API search tool in the Orchestrator client but haven't found anything.

Thanks,

P.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
stuartclements
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello P.,

Yes, I admit that the Web views were seriously under-documented in version 4.0 of the Developer's Guide. However, we significantly improved the Web views documentation in the 4.0.1 version of the Developer's Guide.

You can find the 4.0.1 versions of the vCO docs here:

You will find descriptions of the classes of the Web view API and the descriptions of the Web view components (including WorkflowLink) in the section 'Developing Web Views' > 'Web View Components', starting on page 218 of the 4.0.1 version of the Developer's Guide.

There are no changes in the implementation of Web views between versions 4.0 and 4.0.1, so all the expanded documentation in 4.0.1 applies to 4.0 too.

Kind regards,

Stuart

(vCO Technical Publications)

koupr01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stuart,

I have no idea why I kept cliking the outdated version.....anyway thanks for your prompt and helpful comment.

I'd have one more question though. How much complete is the API doc in the 4.0.1 version? Does it cover all components or are there any available but undocumented components?

Thanks,

Prema

0 Kudos
stuartclements
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Prema,

All the components that we wanted to expose publicly are documented in 4.0.1.

Incidentally, attached to this message is a ready-made version of the virtual machine manager Web view that is described in the section 'Create a Simple Web View Using the Default Template' in the 4.0.1 docs. You can import this package into vCO in the Packages tab in the vCO client, then export the virtual machine manager Web view to a local directory in the Web Views tab, so that you can look at its contents. This package did not make it into the samples bundle that we shipped for 4.0.1, but we'll be pushing an updated version shortly that includes the Web view example.

NOTE: You need to set the vmFolder attribute in the virtual machine manager Web view to point to a folder in your vCenter server before you publish Web view, otherwise no VMs will show up in the Web view.

Thanks,

Stuart

koupr01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stuard,

Thanks a lot, I will definitely try that package once I come back to the the Web View development. I am currently stuck with other Orchestrator API problem I need to deal with first (I have posted separate topic on that here in this forum).

Thanks,

Prema

0 Kudos
stuartclements
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Prema,

No problem. Let me know when you do get back onto Web views if you have any further problems.

Thanks,

stuart

0 Kudos