VMware Cloud Community
zdog59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCO vCenter Task Operations and vim3WaitTask End

Hello All,

Has anyone seen an issue where the highlighted object in a vCO workflow does not reflect the object currently operating: (See screen shot attached)

And along those lines, I am experiencing a rather peculiar situation in a “Clone” workflow.  The workflow is a slightly modified version of the "Clone, Windows with single NIC and credential".  Modifications were made to the "cloneVM" action to add verbose logging  in the action. (A simple system.log to show the action started and the task initiated successfully)   In addition, the vim3waitTaskEnd action was modified to log the status in each loop. (task name and task status)

Now, my understanding of the process is that the “cloneVM” action should never remain in a highlighted state for an extended period of time.  Essentially, the cloneVM_Task(action) is called and a "task object" is returned from vCenter reflecting the clone operation.  From there the task obj is passed to the vim3WaitTaskEnd action which loops until the task.info.state returns “success”, it fails or the operation exceeds the timeout.

On occasion we are experiencing an instance where vCO shows the “cloneVM” action highlighted and does not move to the vim3waitTaskEnd.  However, from the verbose logging, it shows that the operation did kick off and return a “task” object.  In addition, the “task” object is sent to the vim3WaitTaskEnd action and the verbose logs from that operation shows the looping and the status of running.

Where it gets odd is that clone operation completes.  In vCenter it show the task completed.  In the variables of the workflow, the “task” attribute reflects the task object and a state of success.  However, the logs show that the current activity of the workflow is that the operation is still looping though the vim3WaitTaskEnd and the value being returned is that the task is still in a “running” state.   In addition, even though it’s looping it does not appear to timeout after the max value is reached.  Thus it loops forever.

So anyone know why this might be happening.  Essentially we have a vCO workflow failing b/c It’s not aware that the task is completed.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
zdog59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not running 5.5.  I'm running vCO 5.1 with plugin 5.1.0.446

0 Kudos
Devika18
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am also facing the same issue as you have mentioned above.Were you able to resolve this issue.Can you please share.It would be helpful for me to move forward as I am stuck over the same issue since many days.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
zdog59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our issue was due to the Task information being cached and not updated via the vCenter Plugin.   We updated to version 5.1.2.562 that came out a couple weeks later and it resolved the issue.  Looking over the technical docs, I no longer see that version however would assume a minor revision was made in it and the new version is 5.1.2.568 https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-25182

I would verify with VMware prior to implementing though.

Mike

0 Kudos