VMware Cloud Community
niallodwyer
Contributor
Contributor

vCO Provision VMs with VMXNET3 adapter

Hi All,

We are using VCO as our workflow engine for the automated provisioning of VMs.

We have a requirement that the VMs are deployed using the VMXNET3 adapter. However, at the moment they are all being deployed with the E1000 adapter instead.

Does anyone know how to configure the adapter to use in VCO?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

well how do you provision the VMs?

I guess from a template?

If yes, check that template. If the template has a E1000 adapter, your provisioned VMs will have it too.

Tim

0 Kudos
niallodwyer
Contributor
Contributor

Tim, thanks for your help.

Yes we are using a template. The problem we are having is that if we deploy the VMs directly in VCloudDirector they deploy the VMXNET3 adapter (the correct adapter) but when done using VCO they deploy the E1000 adapter. I need to find out why this difference is happening.

0 Kudos
bencouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had a similar issue a while back. I can't remember if we found the actual cause of this issue or not, but since we needed to find a solution fast, we ended up removing the incorrect NIC right after cloning and then we create/attach a new NIC of the correct type. I can post some code for this, if you can't figure out how to get them to provision with the correct adapter type to begin with.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

vCD still uses a template - you should be able to find it in vCenter and look at the NIC type - either vCD is changing it from the template, or vCO is.  Once you know that, you can either change the template, or know you have to have vCO change it...

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I dealt with this a couple of years ago (and if you look at my other posts I think I uploaded some modified actions for dealing with this situation).  vCO was definitely the culprit back then.  Last I looked which was admittedly probably a year or so ago the stock workflows still all seemed to use the E1000 and for some unknown reason the actions and workflows dealing with nics seem to leave vmxnet3 and  other types out of the list or don't offer them as choices.  The modifications are pretty easy to make though.  I also find it annoying that they tend to only support standard switch types and don't allow for using port groups (at least that used to be the case).  So if you were building a vm and needed to connect it to a port group that was not an option in most/all of the standard workflows in the vSphere plugin.  They may now support this but like I said we rolled our own quite some time ago and I haven't take a look at the current actions/workflows.

0 Kudos