VMware Cloud Community
hashimotor
Contributor
Contributor

vApp IP Pool settings with multiple Org networks(multiple vNICs in VM)

Hello,

I couldn't find settings which enables assigning multiple IP pools to a vApp from vApp configuration.

I want to create an appliance which has multiple VMs completely-separated with VLAN (each network such as DMZ-Web, Web-AP, AP-DB has individual VLAN IDs)

--[DMZ]--  [  (VLAN A)--[Web]--(VLAN B)--[AP]--(VLAN C)--[DB]  ] <- a structure where I can create using vApp (outer square bracket).

Could you tell me if it is able or not, and where the settings I can set in.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimLawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To do this I think you would need to do the following:

1. Provision a Network Pool for each VLAN you wish to present
  2. Create an Org Net in each pool
  3. Add each OrgNet to the vApp.

or you could just create multiple External Networks on different VLANs and then create an OrgNet with a direct connection to each network.

I have never tested whether Direct connections use the Network Pool VLAN or not so there is a chance you could still be passng multi VLAN traffic over a single VLAN with this solution.

Is there any reason why you can't just use a vCDNI pool with FRONTEND,BACKEND vApp networks?

Tim

hashimotor
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

Is there any reason why you can't just use a vCDNI pool with FRONTEND,BACKEND vApp networks?

Just because we want to implement without using vCD and Network pool but using only vCenter Server and IP pool if possible. If we can't do this, we will suggest using vCD(Sorry for using the term Org Network used in vCD).

there is a chance you could still be passng multi VLAN traffic over a single VLAN with this solution.

We want to separate the NWs each other because this is a porting of existing system to ESXi/vCenter without modification in existing NWs.

Still I appreciate your answering my questions. There is two solutions possible, my understanding:

1. use vCD, provision a Network Pool for each VLAN, create an OrgNet in each Network Pool and add each OrgNet to the vApp.

2. use vCD, create multiple External Networks on different VLANs  and create an OrgNet with a direct connection to each network.

I wonder there is no settings in vApp configuration that associates vNICs with OrgNet or External Networks permanently. If I may, I'd like to ask that.

To recap:

Q1(required): Is there a way to do this without using vCD and Network pools but using only vCenter Server and IP pools, and is there a vApp configuration that associates each vNICs with IP pools?

Q2(optional): Is there a vApp configuration that associates vNICs with each OrgNets or External Networks (using vCD/vSphere Client or not)?

0 Kudos
hashimotor
Contributor
Contributor

I'll close this post and re-post to appropriate community:vCenter. Thanks.

0 Kudos