I am unable to see the Orchestrator Server on web client

vCenter Server IP : 192.168.95.233

Orchestrator: Installed along with the vCenter

Please find the attached image

25 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To successfully register as an extension in managed object browser, just add a new vCenter Server host in vCO configurator (configurator -> 'vCenter Server' page -> 'New vCenter Server Host' tab). Provide vCenter host IP. Do not forget to provide the last 2 fields on the form - username/password for the configuration session. Without them, there will be no registered extension in the MOB.

nassar3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for such quick and helpful replies.  When I enter the IP address and test the connection, it says, "The connection has been established successfully."  Then the "Fixed IP/hostname" field is rewritten as "https://[ip-address]:8281/vco/api/".  I don't see any user name / password fields in the form or anywhere else I can find under Orchestrator Servers.  Also, I still don't see the orchestrator extension in the MOB under ExtensionManager / Properties.  I also couldn't find any errors in the vCenter or Orchestrator logs.  I *think* that I have successfully imported both vCenter certificates as outlined here and in other discussion threads, as I didn't see any errors reported and they are still listed in the web-based Orchestrator Configuration interface.

Also, after following the same process yesterday (as above), and seeing the vCenter Server listed under Orchestrator Servers; when I checked it today the "Fixed IP/hostname" field was blank-- the URL that had been there just disappeared.  When I began following the same procedure today, at first it couldn't establish the connection, but then it worked (as above) after I restarted the vCO server via the web-based Orchestrator Configuration interface.

Both vCenter and Orchestrator are 5.5.1.

0 Kudos
nassar3
Contributor
Contributor

I apologize, I misread this comment about adding a new vCenter Server host in vCO configurator.  This may be the problem.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There seems to be some misunderstanding what is added where and why Smiley Happy

First, the procedure in update #20 describes how to register MOB extension using vCO configurator, NOT web client. In the web client you don't register MOB extension, the web client only can consume it. User name/password fields are shown in vCO configurator UI when you add vCenter host (in web client, you are not adding vCenter hosts; you're adding vCO hosts, and only if there is no MOB extensions for them).

In general, having MOB extension is preferred over manually adding vCO IP/hostname.

In web client, when you press test connection, it uses the SAML token acquired on behalf on the user currently logged in the web client. This SAML token is passed to vCO as part of vCO REST API calls, and if authentication is successful, you'll see 'connection established successfully' box.

If you have a MOB extension properly registered, you should be able to use vCO without manually adding fixed IP/hostname in the web client; vCO IP will be fetched from the MOB extension.

If you have added fixed IP/hostname manually, and it later disappeared, this may mean the configuration of web client has been somehow cleaned.

nassar3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, yes, I saw my error after re-reading your #20.  Thanks also for your detailed and clear explanation of the process.

I'm not sure why the web client's configuration changed, as no one touched it.  It wasn't the first time I had seen the vCO configuration change like that, on its own, during a couple of days of trying to integrate it with vCenter.  I guessed it was some sort of communication failure (e.g. I thought I might have misconfigured the authentication) causing the software to silently reset part of the configuration.

0 Kudos
nassar3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, this (#20) was the problem.  I somehow had missed that step.

0 Kudos