VMware Cloud Community
nb951
Contributor
Contributor

secure string maximum string length validate issue

with vRO 7.6 in presenation set maximum string length to 40

run workflow using REST client fails.

2019-07-27 13:20:54.722+0000 [https-jsse-nio-0.0.0.0-8281-exec-6] ERROR {} [BaseController] Error invoking REST [unknown]

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 1 error(s) found: [ { Password - The maximum number of characters allowed for this field is 40 } ]

at com.vmware.o11n.web.presentation.service.PresentationServiceImpl.validateParameters(PresentationServiceImpl.java:369)

at com.vmware.o11n.web.workflow.ExecutionController.startWorkflowExecution(ExecutionController.java:354)

any known solution to this ?

if i remove maximum string length check it works , if i set it to large number like length = 400 it works

0 Kudos
8 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

By default, running a workflow via REST call does validate input parameters, so the error you are seeing is the expected behavior.

There is an undocumented header X-Skip-Validation-Of, which you can pass with your REST request, and if the value of this header is parameters, the parameter validation will be skipped.

Note that skipping input validation may cause the workflow to behave incorrectly. Usually, the validation logic in presentation is put there intentionally, and the workflow scripting code is free to assume that the preconditions defined by presentation constraints are satisfied.

nb951
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot for the tip , it worked ,  i see this confirmation in log :

2019-07-28 12:53:30.406+0000 [https-jsse-nio-0.0.0.0-8281-exec-6] INFO  {} [ExecutionController] Skipping validation of input parameters in execution context

However this is a limitation : no way to run a workflow via REST without skipping validation on string maximum length for type=SecureString

or is there some other way besides header skip validation ?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

0 Kudos
nb951
Contributor
Contributor

1 test workflow using REST api

2 workflow has a presentation input of type=SecureString name=password and has a  "Maximum string length=40" validation set.

3 when i run the workflow from client UI and input password value in presentation it works as expected

4 when i run using REST client java code i get exception noted above, for this you gave me a workaround , why do think this is not a bug ?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, maybe I have misinterpreted your question.

If the presentation contains a constraint 'maximum length = 40', and when starting the workflow you provide a value that is shorter than 40 characters, then validation should pass. If the validation fails, then this is a bug.

I suppose this can happen if the secure string value reaches validation logic in encoded form (which is longer than the plain string value). Could you show the actual code you use to start the workflow plus the request payload?

BTW, could you check if the issue still exists in vRO 7.6 Service Pack? A colleague of mine recalled that a similar issue was fixed there.

0 Kudos
nb951
Contributor
Contributor

yes this seems to be the root cause : secure string value reaches validation logic in encoded form

can you forward link to vRO 7.6 Service Pack ? i dont see any avaialable download

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The current service pack build for vRO 7.6 is build# 14213675

I'm not sure how the service packs are distributed to customers, though. You may need to contact your VMware representative for instructions how to get it.

0 Kudos
HuiLuo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Where can we found the info about X-Skip-Validation-Of? Just want to know if there are other things also could be skipped. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos