VMware Cloud Community
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

random failures with guest operations and wait actions

3 little issues that I've been struggling with recently. Maybe someone can help...

1) I've been having a problem recently with the copy file from vco to guest and the run process in guest workflows. The copy file seems to randomly copy only part of the file and the run process part can't contact the guest agent. The errors I get looks like the following:

org.apache.http.client.ClientProtocolException

The guest operations agent could not be contacted.

I don't know if there's something wrong or if this is a timing issue in that vco starts another workflow/step before the VM is actually ready. During my workflow, after a reboot sometimes, I've seen vmware show the CPU was pretty high but when I log in to the windows vm, everything is idle and the MHz in use as reported by vmware drops back to the nothing. Vmotion is disabled on these vms while my workflows are running.

In all cases, restarting the workflow allows things to proceed. Any ideas?

2) The wait for ip/tools/dns actions also seem to be a little hit or miss and I find myself putting in 15-30 second delays all the time as a workaround. Even if those actions allow things to proceed, the VM isn't fully ready yet. Is there a better way than putting in sleeps? Is there a better check to see if the VM is ready to proceed?

3) I think I get hit with this problem every now and then :

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201264...

I posted a question on here for help finding the 169.254 address but when it happened for real the first time, my changes to catch the problem didn't work (but it was able to detect it during my testing so I've added a little logging to try and see why). I would prefer to disable/re-enable the nic but I can't quite figure out the code so I just have the vm reboot. Does anyone have a little piece of code to show how to disable and re-enable the nic?

Thanks

0 Kudos
0 Replies