VMware Cloud Community
JeremyMonnet
Contributor
Contributor

invalid credentials when browsing a vcenter for resources

When launching workflows, I get the error "invalid credentials" when trying to browse a vcenter for choosing objects. This happens in Orchestrator client (vROWorkflowDesigner), or through the vcenter web view in the orchestrator panel.
pastedImage_0.png
The vCenter is connected to an AD, and I have no login issue there, orchestrator is configured to use SSO through the vCenter, and that works fine either; I have no errors when logging in to the vCenter or to the designer. I have found messages about restarting the SSO, which I did several times with no improvement.

I have several users from the same AD group, that group provides user authentication and authorization for everything. But I get different behaviour among users, some have the "invalid credentials", some not. Sometimes the "invalid credentials" goes away (as it did a few minutes ago, I had the error on the web view, I login to the client, no more issue there, tried again on the web view and it worked... but I don't know how long this will last).

Has anyone already had that kind of behaviour and solved it ? Thanks !

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Probably you have added vCenter host with 'session per user' mode. In this mode Runtime credentials of the logged in user will be used to authenticate against vCenter. If you update the host to be 'shared session' then credentials provided in the workflow (Add vCenter host) will be used.

0 Kudos
JeremyMonnet
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I added the vcenter using the session per user, because this is what we need. There will be at least 2 different kind of users to connect : the administrators and the clients. There are things we do not want the clients to see or do, so using their own credentials limit their actions to the rights they have on the vcenter. Or did I not understand the difference between "session per user" and "shared session" ?

0 Kudos
JeremyMonnet
Contributor
Contributor

I updated from 7.0.0 to 7.0.1 and it seems to have fixed that issue.

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your understanding about the two session modes is correct. But it is common source of frustration when switch accounts. There are some bugfixes for 7.0.1 but I think they are not related to session management component so 7.0 should also work. Anyway glad to hear everything is working now.

0 Kudos