colinj
Contributor
Contributor

getUserFromContainer returns only null

Howdy all,

I'm attempting to do an AD lookup of a user using the AD plugin (v 1.0.2) and all I ever get back is null.

I've given it a valid container (in this case an OU). I've tried this with both the Action getUserFromContainer and by calling System.getModule("com.vmware.library.microsoft.activeDirectory").getUserFromContainer(container,accountName) by hand. In both cases all I get back is null.

I know that the user running the workflow has permission to search the OU as I can do it by hand with the AD Users & Computers tool. I know that the user in question is present.

So, why am I getting null back?

colin j.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi colinj

Welcome to the communities.

Same thing was happening with me while I was in process of remove my mailbox server role.

And I found some object entry not found on AD due to which getting null value .

please check you ad database size & try to do some cleaning then check it .

"You must not lose faith in humanity".
0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you suing the last version that was posted here ?

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
colinj
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not actually part of the group that manages AD here so I don't really have a way to remove objects or check the size. We do have a very large AD instance ~80,0000 users so if that's a problem do let me know.

I'm not using the beta version of the AD plugin, I'm using the latest released version. I'm not getting a null pointer exception/error. In fact what I'm getting back is nothing at all. It's as if what I'm having it search for isn't there.

thoughts?

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1.0.2 GA version (latest release version ) has issues that could lead to returning null values.

Those issues got resolved in 1.0.2-683.  So I will suggest to install the 1.0.2-683 and test if the issue is still there.

colinj
Contributor
Contributor

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I had assumed (wrongly) that the getUserFromContainer method would search sub-containers as well. This isn't the case it just does a single level search.  Once I pointed it at the specific container it worked just fine.

It would be nice to have something that did a sub-search as well.

Thanks to everyone for the insight.

0 Kudos
colinj
Contributor
Contributor

getUserFromContainer only searches the specified container and not any child container objects.

0 Kudos