I'm attempting to do an AD lookup of a user using the AD plugin (v 1.0.2) and all I ever get back is null.
I've given it a valid container (in this case an OU). I've tried this with both the Action getUserFromContainer and by calling System.getModule("com.vmware.library.microsoft.activeDirectory").getUserFromContainer(container,accountName) by hand. In both cases all I get back is null.
I know that the user running the workflow has permission to search the OU as I can do it by hand with the AD Users & Computers tool. I know that the user in question is present.
So, why am I getting null back?
Welcome to the communities.
Same thing was happening with me while I was in process of remove my mailbox server role.
And I found some object entry not found on AD due to which getting null value .
please check you ad database size & try to do some cleaning then check it .
Are you suing the last version that was posted here ?
I'm not actually part of the group that manages AD here so I don't really have a way to remove objects or check the size. We do have a very large AD instance ~80,0000 users so if that's a problem do let me know.
I'm not using the beta version of the AD plugin, I'm using the latest released version. I'm not getting a null pointer exception/error. In fact what I'm getting back is nothing at all. It's as if what I'm having it search for isn't there.
1.0.2 GA version (latest release version ) has issues that could lead to returning null values.
Those issues got resolved in 1.0.2-683. So I will suggest to install the 1.0.2-683 and test if the issue is still there.
I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I had assumed (wrongly) that the getUserFromContainer method would search sub-containers as well. This isn't the case it just does a single level search. Once I pointed it at the specific container it worked just fine.
It would be nice to have something that did a sub-search as well.
Thanks to everyone for the insight.