VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

extend vm disk and extend disk in windows workflow

any idea or any tip on how to create this in vco?

I frequently have to enlarge disks due to out of space and have to do enlarge the disk via vcenter and then go to windows to extend the disk

how to create a workflow to do both?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pdjorg
Contributor
Contributor

This is kind of a difficult problem, because vCO/vRO has no reliable way to correlate virtual disks attached to a VM with the disks that show up inside Windows. As far as I'm aware, the only way to accomplish this programmatically is to compare disk sizes—and if you have two disks that are the same size, or if you are splitting virtual disks into multiple partitions, then it becomes even tougher.

If you are content to have the workflow accept a VC:VirtualDisk object as the input (meaning the operator would have to identify the right virtual disk), then you could concievably:

1. Have the workflow inspect the sizes of all the storage devices inside the guest with PowerShell or WMI
  2. Grow the virtual disk in vSphere
  3. Rescan the storage inside the guest, and get the new sizes of all the disks inside the guest
  4. Compare the before and after, and use the differences to identify which disk was grown
  5. Grow the file system on the disk that was identified in step 4
0 Kudos
karthikelango
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I have not worked in vCO but the below link will help you to extend the disk.

vRealize Orchestrator – Extend Virtual Disk Workflow – Part 1 of 2 | vBombarded

0 Kudos