VMware Cloud Community
mcfadyenj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

errors using plugins

When I browse the inventory plugin it always takes a very very long time.

looking in the server logs I find this whenever the issue occurs. I wonder if this is some version conflict issue etc. Does anyone have some clues to how I can fix this.

2011-03-31 17:49:05.285+1000 ERROR [VimDatastore] getProperty() [xxx\xxxxxx@https://xx.xx.xx.xx:443/sdk/Main#3bf32230, Datastore<datastore-42932>] --> Property 'name' does not exist
com.vmware.vmo.plugin.vi4.model.NoSuchPropertyException
at com.vmware.vmo.plugin.vi4.model.VimContentManagedObject.addNewPropertyFilter(VimContentManagedObject.java:247)
at com.vmware.vmo.plugin.vi4.model.VimContentManagedObject.getPropertyContent(VimContentManagedObject.java:298)
at com.vmware.vmo.plugin.vi4.model.VimContentManagedObject.getProperty(VimContentManagedObject.java:376)
at com.vmware.vmo.plugin.vi4.model.VimManagedEntity.getName(VimManagedEntity.java:124)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor363.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.SDKFinder.convertToResult(SDKFinder.java:405)
at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.SDKFinder._findRelation(SDKFinder.java:283)
at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.SDKFinder.findRelation(SDKFinder.java:192)
at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.ModulesFactory.findRelation(ModulesFactory.java:453)
at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.mbean.ScriptingSDK.findRelation(ScriptingSDK.java:107)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor599.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155)
at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:94)
at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:86)
at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:264)
at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:659)
at ch.dunes.model.ejb.server.helper.SDKModulesHelper.invokeMBean(SDKModulesHelper.java:37)
at ch.dunes.model.ejb.server.helper.SDKModulesHelper.findRelation(SDKModulesHelper.java:88)
at ch.dunes.model.ejb.server.sessions.VSOFactoryBean.findRelation(VSOFactoryBean.java:1061)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor598.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.jboss.invocation.Invocation.performCall(Invocation.java:359)
at org.jboss.ejb.StatefulSessionContainer$ContainerInterceptor.invoke(StatefulSessionContainer.java:598)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.SecurityInterceptor.invoke(SecurityInterceptor.java:168)
at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.CachedConnectionInterceptor.invoke(CachedConnectionInterceptor.java:158)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.CallValidationInterceptor.invoke(CallValidationInterceptor.java:63)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.AbstractTxInterceptor.invokeNext(AbstractTxInterceptor.java:121)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.AbstractTxInterceptorBMT.invokeNext(AbstractTxInterceptorBMT.java:173)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TxInterceptorBMT.invoke(TxInterceptorBMT.java:77)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.StatefulSessionInstanceInterceptor.invoke(StatefulSessionInstanceInterceptor.java:333)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor.invoke(LogInterceptor.java:205)
at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.invoke(ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.java:138)
at org.jboss.ejb.SessionContainer.internalInvoke(SessionContainer.java:648)
at org.jboss.ejb.Container.invoke(Container.java:960)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor93.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155)
at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:94)
at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:86)
at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:264)
at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:659)
at org.jboss.invocation.jrmp.server.JRMPInvoker$MBeanServerAction.invoke(JRMPInvoker.java:818)
at org.jboss.invocation.jrmp.server.JRMPInvoker.invoke(JRMPInvoker.java:419)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor114.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:305)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:159)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
2011-03-31 17:49:05.285+1000 DEBUG [SDKModuleNotificationHandler] -- notify sdk message : 'Warning' text : InvalidProperty :  'name'
2011-03-31 17:49:05.503+1000 WARN  [VimSession] invokeWebServiceOperation() [xxx\xxxxxx@https://xx.xx.xx.xx:443/sdk/Main#3bf32230].createFilter --> InvalidProperty :  'name'
2011-03-31 17:49:05.503+1000 WARN  [FiltersManager] createPropertyFilter() --> [xxx\xxxxxx@https://xx.xx.xx.xx:443/sdk/Main#3bf32230, Nb filters used 51] --> Property name 'name' was not found by VirtualCenter
2011-03-31 17:49:05.503+1000 WARN  [FiltersManager] createPropertyFilter() --> Empty filter, aborting

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

Hi!

My first guess also is version related: Does the version of vCO (specific: the vSphere-plugin) fit to the version of vCenter?

Other possible reason: Does the user who connects to vCenter has the right to read this datastore?

Can you reproduce the issue when  connection to another vCenter?

(to figure out if its a general or plugin-wide or vCenter-specific error)...

Regards,

Joerg

cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check your vCenter Plug-in configuration. Did you set it up with shared session or session per user ? There were errors reported recently with session per user.

Christophe.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

@Christophe: Is there an official recommendation of VMware which type you should use?

A shared session surely lets to less problems, but in most environments the per-user way is necessary for security, auditing and compliance reasons...

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I recall well the documentation recommends the use of a shared session for performance / scalability reasons.

In many cases shared session makes a lot of sense. For example I may want someone to clone a VM through the use of a particular workflow going through approvals or other steps but I may not want this same person to be able to use a vCenter client to clone the VM out of the workflow I have designed.

Now there are definitely use cases as well for the session per user and I was under the impression that apart from using more resources on the vCO and vCenter side it was working but since we have got a couple of posts here with errors getting to some object properties I now advise to avoid it if not really needed (or as a work around) but VMware customers should definitely open a support request when having problem with it to VMware global support.

Christophe.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
mcfadyenj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

well there are a few issues re the versions.

1) i don't have direct access to VC only client access. I am not sure of the version I have a feeling its 4.1 is there somewhere to find out from the client?

2) I think the hosts are v3.5, we are getting a new cluster next week on 4.1 servers I have been waiting on hardware for about 6 months.

I built my own vco box as our company uses no automation anywhere, I had to push pretty hard to allow vco access.  But the issue I have is I only have limited access to a subset of VC. So my project can only see our servers and have no access to portgroups / datastores etc. So some functionality may be failing due to perms. I can build any vms  under the cluster, but cannot change host config etc.

Re the config it put it as per-user, I will switch it over tomorrow and try again.

oh one more thing re the datastores. When you say do I have rights I have read / edit rights on the datastore. But I cannot browse the datastores. I am not sure if this is an issue. So I can create vm's on the ds etc. I can migrate servers using vmotion etc. I cannot browse.

0 Kudos
FSvcoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW-We recently encountered the same issue under Version 4.1.0, Build 581. Switching to Shared addressed the problem.

0 Kudos