VMware Cloud Community
dacoulter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dynamically switch attribute value link

Is it possible to dynamically switch the link of a workflow attribute value, tying it to a specific vCO configuration (attribute) based on a drop down selection in the workflow presentation?

I'm looking for an easy way to maintain a minimal set of workflows and configurations for provisioning ESX hosts based on environment.  I have a single set of workflows that handle the provisioning, and multiple vCO configurations defined per ESX hosting environment (i.e. default attributes/values for DNS, AD, IP settings for lab, test, prod, site1, site2, etc.).  I'd like to be able to select the configuration for a given hosting environment from a drop down list when I start the workflow, which would then set certain workflow attributes to the value of their matching configuration attributes.

Any ideas, or is there a better approach?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rgeorgiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can, check the "Server" scripting object, there is a method to access ConfigurationElementCategory and from it you can get your ConfigurationElement.
So you can use the above solution, from Martin, and in the Action scripting access the ConfigurationElement.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

See if this will help you http://mighty-virtualization.blogspot.com/2010/10/vco-input-dependency-using-presentation.html.

Regards,

--Martin

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
dacoulter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With actions, you only have input arguments - there's no ability to store or access vCO configuration elements to my knowledge.

The reason I want to use vCO configuration elements versus an action is because I'll also be storing passwords (SecureString).  If I use an action instead then any password variables set would be visible in plain text to anyone viewing that action.

0 Kudos
rgeorgiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can, check the "Server" scripting object, there is a method to access ConfigurationElementCategory and from it you can get your ConfigurationElement.
So you can use the above solution, from Martin, and in the Action scripting access the ConfigurationElement.

0 Kudos
dacoulter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect, thanks!

0 Kudos