VMware Cloud Community
dansoar66
Contributor
Contributor

create a VM with hardware version bellow actual version

Hello, can someone help me to findout how to create a new vm with hardware version 8 instead of 10

how to modify the workflow create a new vm with this modification

my orchestrator is version 5.2

thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Make a duplicate of "Create simple virtual machine" or "Create custom virtual machine" workflow, open it for edit, and add the following code on line 2 on the scriptable box item:

configSpec.version = "vmx-08";

(You need to duplicate the workflow because by default these workflows are sealed/non-editable and you won't be able to modify their content.)

BTW, there is no orchestrator version 5.2. Perhaps you meant 5.5.2 ?

jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Procedure To Downgrade Virtual Machine Hardware Version by editing the .VMX file:

1. Login to the ESXi hosts where that particular Virtual Machine running using SSH and browse towards the virtual machine location. Power off the Virtual Machine before editing the Configuration file of virtual machine

2. You can verify the current Virtual Machine hardware version from Virtual Machine configuration file (.vmx)

cat VC-1.vmx | grep virtualHW.version

3. Edit the Virtual machine configuration file (Vmname.vmx) file using VI editor

Vi VC-1.vmx

4. Change the Value “virtualHW.version” in the .vmx file from “10” to “8” to downgrade the VM hardware versio form vmx-10 to vmx-9.

5.Save the .vmx file using below command

Press ESC and type :wq!

Please mark a correct answer if it will fulfil your actual query.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dansoar66
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info

yes you are right my version is 5.5.2

0 Kudos
karthikelango
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Methods to  achieve Downgrade of Virtual Machine Hardware Version

1. Use VMware Converter and perform V2V migration to downgrade the Virtual Machine Hardware version VM-Hardware version-8

2. Revert to  previous snapshot, if you have taken snapshot before the VM hardware version upgrade

3. Create a New Virtual Machine with older hardware version and attach the disks from the existing Virtual Machine

4. Another method which is unsupported method. Simply editing the .VMX file of the virtual machine to downgrade the VM hardware version. Let me explain this procedure in detail. Note: This is unsupported by VMware.

0 Kudos
karthikelango
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The .vmx file editing steps were already mentioned above by

0 Kudos