VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Workflows run from custom webview not viewable in orchestrator client.

I have a bunch of custom webviews.  When the workflows are initiated from the webview I don't see the runs in the vCO client.  I can see the finished tokens but I can't inspect them through the gui.  I have to consult the logs which is kind of a pain.  Is this by design or is there something special I need to do to view them from the vCO client?

Paul

0 Kudos
8 Replies
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am not sure I understood exactly but do you see the workflow tokens under a workflow? If yes, are you asking about the logs or you can't inspect anything else - attributes, input params...

To clarify a bit some possible answer - the logs could be two types - System.log and Server.log. System.log would be seen in the client only if the execution is done via the client. If you restart/open the client, this would not be there (only in the log file). If you need persistent log, then you can use Server.log - this would be visible in the Events tab.

Hope this is helpful.

Thaks.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My question is not about the logging.  I can see everything just fine in the logs.  It is about the tree view from within the vCO client.  When I am logged in as a vCO admin I was hoping to see all workflows that are run in the tree view instead of having to search through the logs.  I have custom webviews setup which I am allowing users access to.  When the run a workflow and it errors out I can't inspect it via the gui I have to look in the logs.  Is there someway as a member of the vCO admin group I can see everything that has run?  If have the user login to the client I can see the jobs in the client.

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

by tree view, I guess you mean the workflow tree view? I believe that if you go to the workflow that has been executed you should see the workflow tokens below. Also, on the home main panel in the client, you have a tab WorkflowTokens. It could be empty in the begining but by selecting some of the choices and going back to all will the workflow tokens for all workflows. Attaching a screenshots of both views at the same time. wf_tokens.png

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Paul, this is a common concern it seems, but this is by design. Persistent logging is achieved using Server.log - so if you want the logging info available, then you'll need to change your System.log calls to Server.log calls ... then, when you open your vCO client to check a workflow execution that failed, instead of looking at the empty logs tab, you would view the events tab in the right pane for that execution Smiley Wink

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Right Igor... my problem is it only seems like you can see the items which belong to the user that is logged into the console.  This is probably by design but it would be nice to be able to also see items for ALL users if you are a member of the vcoadmin group.  If I look at all the workflow tokens and can get a listing of everything that has run but I can't interact with it.  I want to be able to review the workflow run in the gui just as I can when I am in logged in developing stuff.

If you login as a regular user who is not a vco admin.  Run a workflow that fails.  Then want to checkout the workflow run to troubleshoot it you have to ask the user to login to the client.  What would be awesome is to be able to click on one of the failed workflow tokens and have it take you to a debug screen of some sort similar to when you are logged in as the user that ran it.  Much nicer than having to dig through the logs.

Maybe I am just missing something quite obvious or maybe everyone runs everything under the same user context so this is not an issue for them.  In my environment I will have many different users hitting these workflows.  Maybe I have permissions set wrong somewhere?  I have some other processes which are kicking off workflows via the soap api and I do see those pop up.  Is there some other acl getting set when a workflow is kicked off via that api that would make it visible to the vco admin group?  It runs under a different account.

Paul

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As far as I remember the user is allowed to see only workflow runs that he has started.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That isn't totally true though as I can see the workflows kicked off by the soap api which is non administrative user.  I guess I am just saying I think for the purposes of debugging it would e nice for the admins to have a global view.

0 Kudos
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

qc4vmware wrote:

That isn't totally true though as I can see the workflows kicked off by the soap api which is non administrative user.  I guess I am just saying I think for the purposes of debugging it would e nice for the admins to have a global view.

From what I have always seen, members of the vCO Administrators group get to see EVERYTHING that is available. If you login as a vCO Admin, you can view all available workflow runs for all workflow executions regardless of who started those workflows... of course, if you didn't have the vCO Client open when the workflow was started, then you won't see the contents of the Logs tab of the workflow execution, but that is by design as System.log entries are non-persistent. You still can see the Events, variables, error when logged in as an admin.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
0 Kudos