VMware Cloud Community
lurims123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Where to find vCO log files in the vCO appliance, how to view them live from Windows machine?

I have seen several links those refer to vCO installed on a windows machine but for appliance, what is the location/path?  One more question, how do I look at them live from a windows machine like a log analyzer or Notepad++.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Server log files in vCO appliance are located at

/var/log/vco/app-server/                    (for vCO 5.5 and newer)

/opt/vmo/app-server/server/vmo/log/  (for vCO 5.1 and older)

How to view the files usually depends on the client you use to connect to appliance. For example, you can connect with WinSCP and open the log files with some editor like Notepad++.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Server log files in vCO appliance are located at

/var/log/vco/app-server/                    (for vCO 5.5 and newer)

/opt/vmo/app-server/server/vmo/log/  (for vCO 5.1 and older)

How to view the files usually depends on the client you use to connect to appliance. For example, you can connect with WinSCP and open the log files with some editor like Notepad++.

0 Kudos
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

With regard to viewing the files live from Windows, I always launch putty.exe (SSH Client application) and connect to the Orchestrator server. Once connected, I make the window very wide and type the following command to watch the server.log file:

tail -f /var/log/vco/app-server/server.log

This gives a LIVE view of what is happening in the log file. If you wish to watch log files on a Windows based system, I like baretail.exe as a tool.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
JamesMW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the appliance install of vRO, but am mainly on a Windows system. I use a combination of things to get this working:

1. Open putty session to vRO server with all session output dumped to a file

putty.png

2. Run the command:

tail -f /var/log/vco/app-server/scripting.log

Or the command

tail -f /var/log/vco/app-server/server.log

3. Open vro.log (in this example) in whatever Windows log analysis tool you want.(use CMTrace, or Trace32 because it does live logging)

-James