VMware Cloud Community
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Where to find the meaning of syntax error codes in vRO 7 IDE.

I am working on a vRO script and the IDE keep complaining about various syntax errors, e.g. "syntax error (script#7)". Where do I find the reference for all of these errors? I have looked in "vrealize_orchestrator_coding_design_guide.pdf" (MARCH 2016, VERSION 1.0), "vrealize_orchestrator_plug-in_development_guide.pdf" (DECEMBER 2016, VERSION 1.0), "vrealize-orchestrator-73-developers-guide.pdf" and "vrealize-orchestrator-73-develop-web-services-guide.pdf" and didn't find anything.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The number after the pound sign is the line number where the error is located. Note that the line numbering starts from 0, not from 1.

As for the error messages, the IDE doesn't do anything magical; it just tries to compile the scripting code (after some delay after you stop typing in the editor, configurable via Tools > User preferences > General > Script compilation delay (ms)), and shows the error message returned by the Javascript compiler.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

These are not IDE-specific errors but Javascript language errors. You can check Javascript language reference at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference , in particular the Errors section in the left panel.

aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ilian Iliev:

The URL to the JavaScript reference is definitely going to come in handy.

However, I'm not quite sure that the error information you reference helps. For example, when trying to edit a script in a workflow the IDE would display "invalid return (script#17)". Eventually I was able to figure out that workflow scripts don't work with the "return" keyword and removing the statement made the error message disappear. Depending on other errors I have encountered the error message changes, including the number after the pound sign (#), and I have no idea the cause.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The number after the pound sign is the line number where the error is located. Note that the line numbering starts from 0, not from 1.

As for the error messages, the IDE doesn't do anything magical; it just tries to compile the scripting code (after some delay after you stop typing in the editor, configurable via Tools > User preferences > General > Script compilation delay (ms)), and shows the error message returned by the Javascript compiler.

0 Kudos