VMware Cloud Community
improvingdaily
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is the best way to clone a VM with customizations but not set any NIC settings?

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to clone a VM that could have any number of nics attached to it.  I also don't want to set any of the NIC settings for the Network Adapters.  I would like it to use the same settings as the original vm.  I have a process to disable the nics before it is powered on to account for any ip issues.  I want to beable to run a sysprep on the system and set some of the customizations just not the NIC ones.  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can try configuring the answer sheet with the same network setting as you have in original vm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
improvingdaily
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK so I have still not had any luck.  Anyone know of anyway I can copy the nicsettingmap from my sourse vm?  If you clone a system and provide no specification it copies the settings.  I guess the other option is to create a mapping for dhcp for each NIC but how do I get the mac of the nic before it is cloned?  I am not sure if I am missing something or not but all I want to do is clone a machine and run a sysprep on it with basic settings.  I don't need to change the NICs because they will be disabled and changed at a later time.

0 Kudos
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can try configuring the answer sheet with the same network setting as you have in original vm

0 Kudos