VMware Cloud Community
dcoulter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VcVirtualMachineSnapshotTree.snapshot is undefined for a given VcVirtualMachine

I'm running the vCO 5.1.1 appliance, and using the stock action to return snapshots (getAllSnapshotsOfVm).  Running the action against any given VM with at least one snapshot produces an array of undefined object(s).

It's as if the snapshot property doesn't exist on the VcVirtualMachineSnapshotTree object for which the action getAllSnapshotsOfVm recursively searches from <vm>.snapshot.rootSnapshotList.

In the log it shows:

2013-10-22 16:14:10.238+0000 WARN  [DynamicWrapper] Property named 'snapshot' not found on object : VcVirtualMachineSnapshotTree

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I ran getAllSnapshotsOfVm() in my test environments (5.1.0 appliance and 5.5.0 windows) against a VC 5.1.0 and a VM with 1 snapshot, and the action appears to be working; at least the first element in the array it returns has proper id/name.

I'll deploy and check with 5.1.1 appliance next week. It could be some regression introduced in 5.1.1.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Checked getAllSnapshotsOfVm() in 5.1.1 environment provided by our QE. Seems to work (a valid snapshot object is returned).

0 Kudos
dcoulter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Ilian for testing.  For this vCO instance, I just recently updated the vCAC plug-in from 5.2 preview to 5.2 final and restarted the vCO service.  After the vCO restart the snapshot objects are being returned.  While the vCAC plug-in update is likely unrelated, I thought I would mention it as it was the only other change made besides a service restart.

The only other difference from the stock vCO appliance settings is the appliance memory and vCO max memory have been increased (this was in effect long before attempting to retrieve snapshot objects).

vCO appliance memory: 6GB

wrapper.java.maxmemory=5120

0 Kudos
dcoulter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After one week of successful workflow runs, all of the sudden today the snapshot objects are coming back as undefined again.  I realize a vCO service restart will correct the issue, but that's not sustainable long term.  Will likely have to open up a case with GSS at this point.

0 Kudos
dwettstein
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Did you received any further feedback about the undefined attribute "snapshot" in object VcVirtualMachineSnapshotTree since your last post? Did you open a case for VMware?

I have exactly the same issue as you. I'm iterating through all snapshot-trees of a virtual machine for checking if a snapshot with a given name exists. If there exists one, I have to remove it. For getting the snapshot object, I'm using the VcVirtualMachineSnapshotTree.snapshot attribute. But as you can imagine, this attribute is undefined.

The vCenter Orchestrator Server Log shows the following:

2014-08-13 13:26:42.807+0200 DEBUG [DynamicFunction] Start action (DynamicFunction) 'com.vmware.library.vc.vm.snapshot/getAllSnapshotsOfVM'

2014-08-13 13:26:42.823+0200 DEBUG [DynamicFunctionCaching] Compiling and caching Action : com.vmware.library.vc.vm.snapshot/getAllSnapshotsOfVM

2014-08-13 13:26:42.823+0200 DEBUG [DynamicFunctionCaching] Compilation done.

2014-08-13 13:26:42.823+0200 WARN  [DynamicWrapper] Property named 'snapshot' not found on object : VcVirtualMachineSnapshotTree

2014-08-13 13:26:42.823+0200 WARN  [DynamicWrapper] Property named 'snapshot' not found on object : VcVirtualMachineSnapshotTree

2014-08-13 13:26:42.823+0200 DEBUG [DynamicFunction] End   action (DynamicFunction) 'com.vmware.library.vc.vm.snapshot/getAllSnapshotsOfVM'

The version of the vCenter Orchestrator is 5.1.1 and the vCenter Server has version 5.1.0.

Thanks.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
dcoulter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem eventually went away, however the environment was quite dynamic (upgrades, tweaks, restarts) so it's difficult to say what specifically contributed to the fix.  Tweaks that stand out in my mind that were made: vCenter inventory service disabled for vCenter plug-in, vCenter memory upgrade and increased vCPU count (24GB RAM and 12vCPU).

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
dwettstein
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I will have to look what I can do.

We will update our platform to version 5.5 soon. I hope the issue doesn't occur there anymore.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos