VMware Cloud Community
MakeItWork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VRO workflow development - update vRO version

Good morning all,

I'm just starting my journey down the vRO plugin development path.

I've followed the directions on these two blogs

https://www.helloitscraig.co.uk/2016/04/getting-started-vro-plugin-development-part-1.html

&

https://www.helloitscraig.co.uk/2016/04/getting-started-vro-plugin-development-part-2.html

And have been able to update the build number using the maven plugin.  This is the only change I made to the base archtype I downloaded.

<plugin>

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>buildnumber-maven-plugin</artifactId>

<version>1.4</version>

<executions>

<execution>

<phase>validate</phase>

<goals>

<goal>create</goal>

</goals>

</execution>

</executions>

<configuration>

<buildNumberPropertyName>build.number</buildNumberPropertyName>

<revisionOnScmFailure>no.scm.config.in.pom</revisionOnScmFailure>

<doCheck>true</doCheck>

<doUpdate>true</doUpdate>

<format>{0,date,yyyyDHmm}</format>

<items>

<item>timestamp</item>

</items>

</configuration>

</plugin>

However when I try to upload the new version, vRO rejects it saying the new version is the same as the old one, even though the build number is higher. I get the same error if I update to 1.0.2-SNAPSHOT.blah.

2016-08-29_08-47-42.png

What, and where (and how) do I need to add to update the vRO version?

Currently using vRO 7.0.1

Thanks in advance.

Visit us at http://www.cloudnutz.com and twitter @cloudnutz
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

This could be an issue with Control Center UI. Could you try to install the plug-in manually? Here are the steps:

1. Produce a new plug-in build
  2. Copy the plug-in's DAR file to vRO appliance, into /usr/lib/vco/app-server/plug-ins/ folder
  3. Make sure to update file ownership/access rights to match the other DAR files in the same folder
  4. Open vRO Control Center, go to Home -> Startup Options page
  5. Click Restart button and wait a bit (usually, a couple of minutes should be enough)
  6. Go to Home -> Manage Plugins page and check the status/version of your plug-in

BTW, previous vRO releases (before vRO 7) didn't take into account plug-in build numbers (only version numbers) when comparing the newly installed plug-in with the existing plug-in. The newer releases, including vRO 7.0.1, should use build numbers also when comparing versions.

Also, there is a property controlling the installation mode of the plug-in (eg. compare versions or install always) - check the code in the auto-generated class <Pluginname>ModuleBuilder.java located in o11nplugin-<pluginname>-core project; there should be something referencing InstallationMode enum.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

This could be an issue with Control Center UI. Could you try to install the plug-in manually? Here are the steps:

1. Produce a new plug-in build
  2. Copy the plug-in's DAR file to vRO appliance, into /usr/lib/vco/app-server/plug-ins/ folder
  3. Make sure to update file ownership/access rights to match the other DAR files in the same folder
  4. Open vRO Control Center, go to Home -> Startup Options page
  5. Click Restart button and wait a bit (usually, a couple of minutes should be enough)
  6. Go to Home -> Manage Plugins page and check the status/version of your plug-in

BTW, previous vRO releases (before vRO 7) didn't take into account plug-in build numbers (only version numbers) when comparing the newly installed plug-in with the existing plug-in. The newer releases, including vRO 7.0.1, should use build numbers also when comparing versions.

Also, there is a property controlling the installation mode of the plug-in (eg. compare versions or install always) - check the code in the auto-generated class <Pluginname>ModuleBuilder.java located in o11nplugin-<pluginname>-core project; there should be something referencing InstallationMode enum.

0 Kudos
MakeItWork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Uploading the new plugin manually worked.

There may be a bug in the new control center they have.

The default installationMode was BUILD. Changing it to ALWAYS made no difference.

installation(InstallationMode.ALWAYS).action(ActionType.INSTALL_PACKAGE,

"packages/${project.artifactId}-package-${project.version}.package");

Visit us at http://www.cloudnutz.com and twitter @cloudnutz
0 Kudos