VMware Cloud Community
ibethebot_01
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vRealize Orchestrator VM ID to VM Name

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help, in the legacy versions of Orchestrator you could run workflows based on the VM name and not the VM ID, after selecting the VM in 7.6 it automatically changes the VM name to a VM ID for scheduled workflows, any ideas on how to change this?

Robert M.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I'm not sure I fully got this "automatic change" thing. Could you give an example?

0 Kudos
ibethebot_01
Contributor
Contributor

Attached are a few photos on what I am talking about, in short this is the process we are trying to do.

1. 2:00 PM Daily Virtual Machine 1 is cloned to Virtual Machine 2 and some automatic tasks happen.

2. 1:00 PM Daily Virtual Machine 2 is deleted from previous day, and the process repeats with virtual machine 1 being cloned again.

You can see in capture_0, that the schedule is setup with the VM name, but in capture_1 the VM name is changed to a VM ID, well every time you clone VM 1 to VM 2 it has a new VM ID, so automatic deletion of the clone won't work after the initial day.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

Delete virtual machine workflow has the input type VC:VirtualMachine, so when you schedule it, so assign a specific VM in your vSphere environment. This object has a unique ID, coming from vSphere.

If you want to delete the VM by name, you need to create a wrapper workflow to search for the current VM with the specific name as an input, and call Delete virtual machine with this new VM object (changing daily). Then you can schedule this wrapper WF.

0 Kudos