VMware Cloud Community
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using Orchestrator Workflows in Cloud Director 10.2 Service Library

We have been using orchestrator workflows through the service library in Cloud Director since 10.0 - mainly we had been using vRO 7.6 and everything was fine. In Cloud Director 10.2 which we are migrating to 7.6 is not supported - so I am doing a validation of our workflows against vRO 8.1 - 8.1 looks a good bit different so i am stuggling as to where my issue lies.

To go through the issue - if I run the workflow through vRO itself - everything appears fine - our workflow is basically simple - its select a vapp template - then number of copies you want and a prefix and it will deploy the number of vapps with the prefix in the name - see below for how it looks - you can see from the vAPP Template which is of type vCloud:VAppTemplate it filters for vAPP templates based on the input typed

WJPConway_0-1605265162055.png

But when I publish this to Cloud Director as a service - when i go to Execute it - it seems to pull back the Cloud Director Connection rather than the vAPP templates - see attached image 

Anyone know why the rendering of the workflow and options are different when viewed through orchestrator vs cloud director

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would start with looking at the log files to figure out what REST API calls are made when you run this workflow from vRO and when you publish it in vCloud Director. There should be a call to retrieve workflow presentation/form in order to render it in the UI and gather input values.

Also, how the list of templates to choose from is populated? Do you have a vRO scripting action that is attached to the presentation of this input parameter and populates the values to show there? If so, I'd suggest to add some log statements inside the scripting code of this action to dump what inputs this action receives, what is returned, etc.

BTW, you may also want to post this question also in vCloud community forum at https://communities.vmware.com/t5/vCloud/ct-p/9050-home

maybe vCloud folks will have some insights.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would start with looking at the log files to figure out what REST API calls are made when you run this workflow from vRO and when you publish it in vCloud Director. There should be a call to retrieve workflow presentation/form in order to render it in the UI and gather input values.

Also, how the list of templates to choose from is populated? Do you have a vRO scripting action that is attached to the presentation of this input parameter and populates the values to show there? If so, I'd suggest to add some log statements inside the scripting code of this action to dump what inputs this action receives, what is returned, etc.

BTW, you may also want to post this question also in vCloud community forum at https://communities.vmware.com/t5/vCloud/ct-p/9050-home

maybe vCloud folks will have some insights.

0 Kudos
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi thanks for the reply,

I think I have some further testing to do - my workflow is basically the 'Instantiate a vAPP Template' workflow but in a loop to create multiples - but when I publish the inbox 'Instantiate a vAPP Template' its presentation is fine in both vCD and vRO - so its some difference between how the vapp template is populated in my workflow and how it is done in the inbox workflow. Even though it presents fine from the orchestrator client I assume there is something additional that makes it present through vCD fine also. I'll do a compare and contrast between the two to try to narrow down the difference and report back -  

0 Kudos
WJPConway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help, I rebuilt the workflow just adding in all the elements again and all works now. It was probably a bit naive to assume a workflow working in 7.6 would simple work in 8.1 -

The one thing I will say is its very confusing how the Cloud Director UI renders a workflow vs how vRO does - but that's more of a Cloud Director problem - either way I have raised that with the Cloud Director community

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vCloud-Director/Cloud-Director-10-2-Service-Library-Present...

Thanks for the help again - I'll get use to 8.x eventually!!!

0 Kudos