VMware Cloud Community
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Using Locking in vCenter Orchestrator Workflows

Hi All,
I had an idea today to start sharing some questions/use cases from current implementations of vCO so that more people can benefit from that. I believe that most of the things that I will try to regularly share are documented or explained at various places but broadcasting them again to the community could be helpful.
So, today's use case is related to locking. vCenter Orchestrator provides a locking capability that according to the official documentation is:
"Locking mechanism for automated processes, that allows workflows to lock the resources they use.
The use case is when you might end up with a few sequential request to change the state of an inventory (external system) object.
For example:
Wf1 uses a VM (vm-478) and Wf2 running a few milliseconds has another state for the VM object, cause Wf1 changed something.
This could be especially useful when workflows run in parallel. In such a case, there are example workflows in Library/Locking folder.
The scripting is the following:

var lockId = "vm-478";

System.log( "Try to lock with lockId:'" + lockId + "' for owner:'" + owner + "'" );

LockingSystem.lockAndWait( lockId, owner );

System.log( "Locked id:'" + lockId + "' for owner:'" + owner + "'");

System.log( "I'm doing my job..." );

//do some job.

System.log(" ... Job done !" );

LockingSystem.unlock( lockId, owner );

System.log( "Unlocked id:'" + lockId + "' for owner:'" + owner + "'");

Hope, it is helpful.
Thanks,
Igor.
Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Probably it is a good idea to do the unlocking in try-finally. Otherwise, it would be very easy to end up with a locked objects while you are developing your workflow. Are we sure that the community will understand this implications? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Often the operations during a lock are not a piece of scripts but other actions and workflows so it is needed to have all of these using an exception link to undo what was done and unlock (which is the equivalent of a try / finally at a workflow level).

I have used the locking system very often. One use case is when you need to generate a new VM / vApp name with checking the ones in the inventory (for example just adding 1 to the number finishing the VM name). Without the lock you may generate two VMs with the same name.

Another use case is when reading / writing in a config element that may be opened / modified by another workflow.

Christophe.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
NiteeshM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

A question on Locking. I am trying to use Infoblox pluging for reserving an IP and this workflow has to be executed only 1 at a time. hence I was wondering if I could use locking procedure so that any other request from vcac for this workflow must fail or queued for certain amount of time say ~10seconds.

I see that there are two main parameters required: Lock Id and owner.

Can I add the ID of the workflow here and who would the owner be.?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
chrisheartland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but there is a lockandWait method. The description is "Try to acquire a lock and wait until lock is acquired." I'm not sure the difference of that and just the .lock method instead. Anyway to use it, you'll put in the name of a string, such as machine name, and owner. For owner, to use a workaround of sorts, I just put in the system time.

So, it'll look like this: LockingSystem.lock(or lockAndWait)(machineName, System.getCurrentTime()); Remember that machineName is a string variable.

Actually, if the original poster is still around, one thing I'm having trouble with is using the .unlockAll() method. It's just not working when I do: LockingSystem.unlockAll(). Every other method for LockingSystem has worked but this one.

0 Kudos
croeleveld
Contributor
Contributor

I found this thread when I was looking into the locking system of vCO. Thanks for sharing the information!

Since there is not a lot of information out there about this I did a quick write up on my blog. Check it here if you're interested: http://automate-it.today/vco-lockingsystem/

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This seems to be working great on existing resources of external systems, but what if I want to lock a workflow object, so a specific workflow may not be run parallel? I tried using the workflow ID for locking. Besides that this dosn't work it would be not reliable, since the workflow ID may change when exporting / importing / changing the workflow which should be locked. Is there a way to do that?

Some more information what the locking system is doing EXACLY would be great. How is locking implemented in vCO? when does the check happen and how? What id should be submitted - the vCO internal ID of the resource (e.g. UUID) or the external ID some plugins use (like the MOB ids that the vsphere plugin is using).

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

rszymczak

* Workflow IDs do not change when exporting/importing/changing the workflow.

* On how the locks work - there is a database table named VMO_Lock. lock() inserts a new record in this table which may fail if there is already another lock with the same lock ID. lockAndWait() tries to insert a new record in this table; if there is another lock with the same lock ID, it re-tries every 2 seconds to acquire the lock. unlock() removes the given lock record from the table. unlockAll() removes all lock records.

* You can use whatever IDs you want as long as they are < 100 characters in length - UUIDs, external IDs, etc.

chrisheartland

There was a bug in unlockAll() code which was fixed back in June, so it should work in the next vCO release (5.5U2)

rkrichevskiy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this the bug with unlockAll() KB2080726?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, this is the relevant knowledge base article.

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So the "lock" will not "lock" the ressource automatically? Every workflow that wants to access a ressource has to implement a check for the lock (by using lockAndWait()) in order for the locking to work?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Every workflow that wants to access a shared resource in "a nice way" has to implement such check, but is not forced to do so. The resource is still accessible without such check.

Sort of "cooperative locking".

rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just had the chance to try it out and it work's great. The only thing that was not clear to me is that I would have to do the checks myself. The documentation dosn't state anything on that topic and I was thinking vCO will "somehow" handle locking. Now it's quite obvious vCO only maintains a list using the string attributes provided and will fire events if a key-pair (the lock I'm waiting for) is removed.

Cool feature!

0 Kudos