VMware Cloud Community
jlombardo529
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from 7.1 to 7.4 Broke some things.

I recently upgraded 7.1 to 7.4 and my main job for provisioning stopped working. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction. 

Here is the error

TypeError: Cannot read property "name" from null (Workflow:Deploy VM / Clone Param Setup (item9)#31)

Here is Item 9 it's just putting out syslog on line 31

So here is that block

// Get the port group to attach to based on the ID in the IP Pool
var dvPortGroupId = MatchingIPPools[0].networkAssociation[0].network.id;
ATTR_NewVM_PortGroup = System.getModule("org.domain.www").getDvPortgroupById(dvPortGroupId,ATTR_NewVM_vCenter);

System.log("Found matching port group '" + ATTR_NewVM_PortGroup.name + "' in vCenter '" + ATTR_NewVM_vCenter + "'");

I had to reindex the logs to get log output.  Here are the errors from the logs. 

```

[2019-11-22 18:28:37.144] [E] Could not find a portgroup in 'DynamicWrapper (Instance) : [VcSdkConnection]-[class com.vmware.o11n.plugin.vsphere_gen.SdkConnection_Wrapper] -- VALUE : vcenter.domain.org' for id 'dvportgroup-288163'

[2019-11-22 18:28:37.146] [E] Error in (Workflow:Deploy CUIT VM / Clone Param Setup (item9)#31) TypeError: Cannot read property "name" from null

I've attached item 9 in its entierty below

I really appreciate any help 

Thank you

//
// ### Determine IP pool, network parameters
//
System.log("Finding a vCenter IP pool to match to the IP address '" + ATTR_NewVM_IPAddress + "'...");
var MatchingIPPools = System.getModule("edu.columbia.cuit").getIpPoolByIp(ATTR_NewVM_IPAddress);

// There should be exactly one IP Pool returned
// It should have exactly one port group associated with it
if(MatchingIPPools.length === 0) {
throw "No IP pools corresponding to " + ATTR_NewVM_IPAddress + " were found; cannot deploy.";
} else if(MatchingIPPools.length > 1) {
throw "More than one IP pool was found that corresponds to " + ATTR_NewVM_IPAddress + "; cannot deploy.";
} else if(MatchingIPPools[0].networkAssociation.length === 0) {
throw "The identified IP pool '" + MatchingIPPools[0].name + "' does not have any port groups associated with it; cannot deploy.";
} else if(MatchingIPPools[0].networkAssociation.length > 1) {
throw "The identified IP pool '" + MatchingIPPools[0].name + "' has more than one port group associated with it; cannot deploy.";
}

// Set up the IP parameters based on this pool
ATTR_NewVM_Net_Gateway = [ MatchingIPPools[0].ipv4Config.gateway ];
System.log("Gateway array set to '" + JSON.stringify(ATTR_NewVM_Net_Gateway) + "'");
ATTR_NewVM_Net_SubnetMask = MatchingIPPools[0].ipv4Config.netmask;
System.log("Subnet mask set to '" + ATTR_NewVM_Net_SubnetMask + "'");

// Which vCenter is this going into?
ATTR_NewVM_vCenter = MatchingIPPools[0].networkAssociation[0].network.sdkConnection;

// Get the port group to attach to based on the ID in the IP Pool
var dvPortGroupId = MatchingIPPools[0].networkAssociation[0].network.id;
ATTR_NewVM_PortGroup = System.getModule("edu.columbia.cuit").getDvPortgroupById(dvPortGroupId,ATTR_NewVM_vCenter);

System.log("Found matching port group '" + ATTR_NewVM_PortGroup.name + "' in vCenter '" + ATTR_NewVM_vCenter + "'");

//
// ### Determine template
//
ATTR_NewVM_SourceTemplate = System.getModule("edu.columbia.cuit").getMostCurrentTemplateByOs(INPUT_GuestOS,ATTR_NewVM_vCenter);

// The template shouldn't be null
if(ATTR_NewVM_SourceTemplate === null) {
throw "A valid template to deploy from could not be found for '" + INPUT_GuestOS + "' in '" + ATTR_NewVM_vCenter + "'";
}

//
// ### Determine the Cluster, VM folder, and Resource Pool to deploy into
//

var ipPool = MatchingIPPools[0];
var clusterNameSearch = 'DevTest';
System.log("Searching for a cluster to deploy into with '" + clusterNameSearch + "' in its name...");
var cr = ATTR_NewVM_vCenter.getAllClusterComputeResources(['name'],'xpath:contains(name, "' + clusterNameSearch + '")');
if(cr.length > 1) {
throw "More than one '" + clusterNameSearch + "' cluster found in '" + ATTR_NewVM_vCenter + "'";
} else if(cr.length === 0) {
throw "No '" + clusterNameSearch + "' cluster found in '" + ATTR_NewVM_vCenter + "'";
} else {
ATTR_NewVM_ResourcePool = cr[0].resourcePool;
}
System.log("A target cluster was found: " + cr[0].name);

var vmFolderId = 'group-v3';
System.log("Searching for the root VM folder...");
var vmf = ATTR_NewVM_vCenter.getAllVmFolders(['name'],'xpath:id="' + vmFolderId + '"');
if(vmf.length > 1) {
throw "More than one '" + vmFolderId + "' VM folder found";
} else if(vmf.length === 0) {
throw "No '" + vmFolderId + "' folder found";
} else {
var ATTR_NewVM_Folder = vmf[0];
}
System.log("A target VM folder was found: " + ATTR_NewVM_Folder.name);

var datastoreNameSearch = '_vmdk_staging_1';
System.log("Searching for a datastore to deploy into with '" + datastoreNameSearch + "' in its name...");
var ds = ATTR_NewVM_vCenter.getAllDatastores(['name'],'xpath:contains(name,"' + datastoreNameSearch + '")');
if(ds.length > 1) {
throw "More than one '" + datastoreNameSearch + "' datastore found";
} else if(ds.length === 0) {
throw "No '" + datastoreNameSearch + "' datastore found";
} else {
ATTR_NewVM_Datastore = ds[0];
}
System.log("A target datastore was found: " + ATTR_NewVM_Datastore.name);
0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This TypeError says that the left part of the expression ATTR_NewVM_PortGroup.name (that is, the variable ATTR_NewVM_PortGroup) has null/no value.

Which means that the scripting action above that tries to find the portgroup by its ID has failed to find such portgroup with such ID.

You need to check that 1) the portgroup you expect to find is indeed available in vCenter and has the expected ID, and then 2) check the scripting code of the action getDvPortgroupById() to figure out why it cannot be found.

0 Kudos
jlombardo529
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

I was able to fix this by moving to a new API call. 

0 Kudos