VMware Cloud Community
ChrisMueller85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to search in vRA for custom objects

Hallo together,

I've got a problem with the vRA abstraction of custom vRO objects.

I wrote a vRO plug-in for dealing with master data (Users,Companies etc.). Within vRO everything is working very well. I can select own objects in the tree view or search for items in the list view.

If I use the same object as input for a Service Blueprint in vRA I am able to select the object in the tree view but if I use the vRA Search control (the autocomplete text box) I'm not ablt to find any item.

Is there any specific thing i have to care about vRA / vRO SDK ?

SDK Version: 5.5

Greetings Chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChrisMueller85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tracing the network connections between vRA and vRO was very helpfull. vRA is calling an REST API call if the form is filled:

/vco/api/catalog/CORP/Contact?conditions=name~chris

I expected that the entered search criteria is given directly to PluginFactory find-function as Query. Anyway this is not the case. vRA is allways looking for an attribute "name" which i haven't defined in my objects.

This solves my first query but raises directly an other one:

This REST API call seems to catch all items and filter them by the name attribute. This works if the PluginFactory findAll-function returns really all items if it is used without "query".

Here I'm running into trouble. With over 100.000 contacts it takes very long to create this objects. So I implemented a SELECT TOP 100 ... if no query was specified. This gives me in the Orchestrator client very fast responding and I was able to find all of the items using the query function. But no I'm only able to search the first 100 items in vRA.

Is there a recommend way to deal with such large amount of objects and the findAll function?

I know this is very specific. Maybe I should open a new topic.

0 Kudos