VMware Cloud Community
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trying to retrieve a list of or a specific Edge appliance

Morning,

I´m trying to work on a specific workflow and, in the middle of it, I need to get a vCNS/NSX Edge appliance to do some stuff with it.

The appliance will be different each time, so I need some sort of method to acquire it.

I already noticed that the vCNS/NSX plugin does not have an action, workflow or even an object function like a "Get all Edges" sort of thing.

I went through the API trying to find a REST call that would accomplish that, but got no luck there either.

Lastly, I tried using the Server.findAllForType method, and found something weird:

Set "vm" as Array/VC:VirtualMachine

vm = Server.findAllForType("VC:VirtualMachine")

"vm" is populated with a list of all virtual machines

=========================================

Now, if I do:

Set "edge" as Array/NSX:Edge

edge = Server.findAllForType("NSX:Edge")

"edge" is empty

I found it pretty weird since the vCNS/NSX plugin is working just fine as I´m using it with other workflows.

Any idea on how to capture a specific Edge or get a complete list of them?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Looking at NSX plug-in source code, it seems that Server.findAllForType() would work only for type NSX:Connection. Not sure why, perhaps plug-in author(s) can elaborate on this, and correct me if I am wrong.

There is a scripting class NSXEdgeManager that seems suitable if you want to retrieve a specific edge. The scripting call could be something like

var edge = NSXEdgeManager.getEdge(connection, edgeid);

where connection is the connection object (of type NSXConnection) and edgeid is the ID of the edge you want to retrieve (of type string).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Looking at NSX plug-in source code, it seems that Server.findAllForType() would work only for type NSX:Connection. Not sure why, perhaps plug-in author(s) can elaborate on this, and correct me if I am wrong.

There is a scripting class NSXEdgeManager that seems suitable if you want to retrieve a specific edge. The scripting call could be something like

var edge = NSXEdgeManager.getEdge(connection, edgeid);

where connection is the connection object (of type NSXConnection) and edgeid is the ID of the edge you want to retrieve (of type string).

0 Kudos
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hum.........

You know. That just might work.

I won´t know the edge-id for this particular workflow, but I could retrieve it from the Edge hostname, since my Edges will have the default hostname.

Gonna try that and brb.

0 Kudos
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And it works!!

Here´s how it looks like.

Assuming:

- The Edge appliances have a standard name, based on a username (Ex: john-0);

- The Edge appliances use the default hostname (Ex: vShieldEdge-edge-<id>-0);

var vms = VcPlugin.allVirtualMachines;

for (var i in vms)

{

if (vms[i].summary.config.product != null)

{

namesplit = vms[i].name.split("-");

vmname = namesplit[0];

if (vms[i].summary.config.product.name == "vShield Edge" && vmname == username)

{

var edgevm = vms[i];

break; //I´m breaking here since I want just one appliance

}

}

}

var edgename = edgevm.summary.guest.hostName.split("-");

var edgeid = edgename[1] + "-" + edgename[2];

edge = NSXEdgeManager.getEdge(nsxconn,edgeid);

Thanks a lot once again

0 Kudos