VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Transient RESTHost with authentication type NONE always authenticating? Connect to vROPS API.

I'm trying to get vRO 8.6 to connect to the vROPS 8.6 rest API.  I've gotten this to work and can retrieve an authentication token if I setup the rest host with an authentication type of NONE.  I'm also able to get this to work with transient hosts if I use that host I added as the source.  If I try to create a host from scratch programmatically though it's not working.  I always get a response back from the vROPS api that the user is not authenticated "We apologize. You are not authorized for the request.".  I think even though I am setting host.authentication to RESTAuthenticationManager.createAuthentication("NONE") it is still trying to do some sort of authentication.  I also tried setting it to null but I get that message.  I can live with keeping a host as a shell and creating transients based off of it but it seems like I should be able to do this without needing that setup.  Is there some step I might be missing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Doing a bit more testing I've hit something that is confounding me.  I took the out of the box workflow "Invoke A REST Host" and wanted to break it out into an action and a workflow.  It was written with a scriptable task in the workflow.  copying the javascript from that scriptable task into an action I get the same issue where I keep getting errors saying user is not authorized.  Something about the transient host that is created must be off.  If I modify the code to not make the transient host everything works.  But why would this break in the action but doesn't appear to break in the scriptable task?????

0 Kudos
Anton_Zlatanov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I hit the same issue Trying to connect VRO 8.3 to vRealize Operations Tenant App for VMware Cloud Director. With RESThost added to VRO inventory with Authentication set to NONE it works flawlessly, but when using transient rest host with the same settings it cannot authorize. Did you find how to solve this?

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm just not using transient hosts at this time I am invoking the host I added. I guess you'd need to add multiple hosts and just call each as needed instead of doing it all on the fly if you have more than one vROPS server you're interacting with.  Seems like a bug to me so I'll report it and see what support says.

0 Kudos
karamajaj
Contributor
Contributor

any update from VMware? I am having the same issue

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I meant to open up a support case but didn't get around to it.  If you have time open a case and reference this community thread.  We are currently negotiating our support contract and I hope to get developer support added.  I have a tough time with these sorts of issues when we don't have developer support in place.  Since I have a workaround it sorta fell off my radar.

0 Kudos
karamajaj
Contributor
Contributor

after contacting VMware support, our issue was resolved as follows:

The root cause of this issue is due to older version of vROps (incl. vROps instances upgraded from 8.0.1 and older) have basic authentication enabled if this was previously enabled on the older instance. 

To enable basic auth we used this KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/77271

I hope this can help