VMware Cloud Community
jarushepic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Third party scheduling software for vRO?

vRO's scheduling ability is very poor and we tend to use this very heavily.  Are other folks using some third-party scheduling software to run normal daily tasks with vRO?

A few of my main gripes:

• After some amount of time the scheduler stops actually running the workflow (under general tab, last/next run are updated, but no workflow was actually run under workflow runs)
  • Sometimes the scheduler silently fails to kick the task off
  • In cluster mode, both nodes of a cluster sometimes kick off the same workflow at the same time (a personal favorite to clean up @ 2AM)
  • If I want to update parameters, I have to delete and create a new job
  • If I want to change the backing workflow, i have to delete and create a new job
  • Visualizing or even querying the schedule is impossible from vRO.  Excel is the only way. Joy
  • Jobs run under a service account require that anyone wanting to view the run info (such as a NOC) have full vRO admin rights

In general the scheduling ability is nearly unusable and I simply don't trust it anymore (and yes, I have SRs open for most of these issues, however no progress is being made)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I agree that scheduling could be improved a lot; it's one of the features that has seen almost no improvements since initial implementation.

As for third-party scheduling solutions - I'm not aware of anything significantly better than integrated vRO scheduler.

BTW, could you send me the list with opened SRs/PRs? We may consider them when planning work for vRO 7.3 and following releases (but don't have high hopes).

0 Kudos
drummoau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have run into all the same issues. We have currently moved our scheduled workflows to cron jobs on one of the clustered vRO nodes, calling the workflow via REST.
0 Kudos