VMware Cloud Community
sutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remove objects from AD when a VM is deleted from vCenter with vCO

All,

I'm new to vCenter Orchestrator and having trouble getting started with it.  I'm trying to figure out how to automatically delete a computer's Active Directory object when it is deleted from vCenter.  My idea is when the VM is deleted it kicks off a workflow that removes the object.  I'm not sure how to call that in or if it is even possible.

The problem I'm trying to solve is our developers are self provisioning Windows and Linux servers through vCAC in the realm of 50+ a day.  They are also deleting most of them within 5 or 6 days causing a lot of left over objects cluttering up AD.   So I'm trying to figure out a way to have the object be deleted when they destroy their vCAC provisioned machines.  My original idea was to do it based on GUID and UUID but I'm failing to figure out how to actually call it with vRO.  I'm open to any other ideas that may fit this task better, no need to force this particular solution idea to the problem if someone already knows a way to do this.

Little background information is I'm running vCenter 5.5 update 2, vCAC 6.1 and vCO 5.5.2.  The objects being deleted are Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2012 R2 and CentOS 6.5 servers.

Thanks in advanced, I think once I get more of an idea on how it works I'll be able to roll out more ideas.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This can be achieved by simply adding following Custom Properties into your Machine Blueprint or Business Group in VCAC.

Plugin.AdMachineCleanup.UserName - <value your ad user account>

Plugin.AdMachineCleanup.Password - <value your ad user password>

Plugin.AdMachineCleanup.Execute

Plugin.AdMachineCleanup.Delete

Or else Create a Build Profile using above set of custom properties, that way it will be easy for you to add them in several Blueprints in your vCAC environment.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This can be achieved by simply adding following Custom Properties into your Machine Blueprint or Business Group in VCAC.

Plugin.AdMachineCleanup.UserName - <value your ad user account>

Plugin.AdMachineCleanup.Password - <value your ad user password>

Plugin.AdMachineCleanup.Execute

Plugin.AdMachineCleanup.Delete

Or else Create a Build Profile using above set of custom properties, that way it will be easy for you to add them in several Blueprints in your vCAC environment.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
sutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This was great, thanks for the quick response.  Not sure how I missed it.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos