VMware Cloud Community
Aluvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PS Script is started multiple times

Hi,

I have a problem with my workflow for creating a template form a selected VM.

My workflow consists of a "scriptable task"(IN parameter: VM, folder, resourcepool, name, OUT parameter: output). which formats the input objects to string and paste them to an "invoke external script" with a powershell script(IN parameter: host, externalscript, arguments, OUT parameter: output).

After execution the output is given to another "scriptable task" which has no programming yet.

The problem is that the ps script does its job and after the end, it is started another time but also aborted after a few steps and I can't figure out why.

The simplified start of my ps script looks like this:

param(

$vmfo,

$name

)

$log = "\\server_ip\D$\scripts\logs\wf_tpl_log.txt"

date

date >>$log

echo "VM or Folder:$vmfo, Name:$name"

echo "VM or Folder:$vmfo, Name:$name" >>$log

echo "Start Script..."

$zzah = get-random

echo "Import Module..."

echo "Import Module..." >>$log

Import-Module "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\PowerCLI\Scripts\Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1"

if ($?){

echo "success!!!"

}

else{

echo "error???"

exit

}

echo "Connect VCenter Server..."

echo "Connect VCenter Server..." >>$log          ==>>This is the last message I get in the log when it runs the 2nd time!

Connect-VIServer -server server_ip -User Administrator -Password password -force -WarningAction SilentlyContinue >>$log

if ($?){ echo "success" } else {echo "error"}

Everything is working fine, script ends with "exit 0" so I guess the problem comes from the workflow and not from the script itself.

Any ideas to this issue?

PS: I just tested with a simple workflow consisting only of the "invoke external script" plugin and an added ps script with an echo as content and also this is executed twice.

So it seems to be a general problem/bug within the orchestrator application.

Thanks and Regards

Alu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ok, got it now.

it may be the problem with the powershell plugin. have a look into the following thread

Invoke a PowerShell script is executing the script twice

Technical preview version of VMware vCenter Powershell Plug-in 1.0.x

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

try aftger removing these two properties -force -WarningAction SilentlyContinue.

It will help us to see the events if the authentication fails and to confirm if its an authenticaiton issue.

0 Kudos
Aluvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi yezdi,

the authentication is fine because the script works the first time perfectly just it is started another time.

So it is started within the workflow twice although I need only 1 run.

I just tested with a simple ps script only doing an echo into a log file and nothing else and this script is also executed twice.

It could be a general bug in the orchestrator application.

I'm not sure if reinstalling helps or if I should try to contact an official vmware support.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ok, got it now.

it may be the problem with the powershell plugin. have a look into the following thread

Invoke a PowerShell script is executing the script twice

Technical preview version of VMware vCenter Powershell Plug-in 1.0.x

0 Kudos
Aluvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, thank you, that was the problem^^

I wonder why I couldn't find that thread but anyways, its working now as expected Smiley Happy

0 Kudos