VMware Cloud Community
jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Orchestrator Appliance + Oracle Database Upgrade from 5.5.1 to 6.0.4

Does anyone know if upgrading the Orchestrator Appliance from 5.5.1 to 6.0.4 is supported, when an external Oracle database is used?

I was able to successfully upgrade my Orchestrator Appliance + embedded postgres from 5.5.1 to 6.0.4 no problem, but when it came to cloning my production instance, which uses an external Oracle database, the /opt/vmware/var/log/vami/updatecli.log show that the upgrader tries to run some funky postgres scripts:

+ log 'Main bootstrap postupdate started'

++ date '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'

+ echo '2016-06-01 15:31:36 Main bootstrap postupdate started'

+ for script in '"${bootstrap_dir}"/*'

+ echo

+ '[' '!' -e /etc/bootstrap/postupdate.d/10-postgres ']'

+ '[' '!' -x /etc/bootstrap/postupdate.d/10-postgres ']'

+ log '/etc/bootstrap/postupdate.d/10-postgres starting...'

++ date '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'

+ echo '2016-06-01 15:31:36 /etc/bootstrap/postupdate.d/10-postgres starting...'

+ /etc/bootstrap/postupdate.d/10-postgres 5.5.1.0 6.0.4.0 2

+ res=1

+ echo 'Script /etc/bootstrap/postupdate.d/10-postgres failed, error status 1'

+ exit 1

+ exit 1

+ trapfunc

+ excode=1

+ test 1 -gt 0

+ vami_update_msg set post-install 'Post-install: failed'

+ test -x /usr/sbin/vami-update-msg

Afterwards, my VCO instance is left in an unusable state, where I can't even login to port 5480. Thankfully this is a clone, so I can easily revert to snapshot.

Looking at the documentation and release notes carefully, there seems to be a glaring discrepancy.

In the general release notes for Orchestrator, as well as specifically for 6.0.1 and 6.0.4, it clearly states that:

To upgrade to vRealize Orchestrator 6.0.4, you must export your current Orchestrator configuration settings, deploy Orchestrator Appliance 6.0.4, and import the configuration settings.

But, the online documentation for vSphere 6.0 and Orchestrator state the following:

You can upgrade your existing  Orchestrator Appliance 5.5.x to 6.0.1 by using the Orchestrator Appliance configuration portal on port 5480. After you upgrade the Orchestrator Appliance, your plug-in settings are preserved.

Release notes state that I have to import configs, but online docs say that I can do inplace upgrade. Since VMWare decided to rebrand Orchestrator between 5.5 and 6.0, the interoperability matrix for upgrade path fails to show if 5.5 -> 6.0 is even supported. Very confusing!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what its worth, I'm running Oracle 64bit 11.2.0.3.0, which is supported by Orchestrator 5.5.1 as well as 6.0.4.

0 Kudos
jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SR 16130148306 was opened to track this issue, but Support has been less than helpful. They have at least confirmed that the vSphere 6 documentation directly conflicts with the vRO 6.0.x Release Notes, and they will try to cleanup the documentation.

Instead of cloning my existing vCO 5.5.1 instance, I stood up a new deployment of vRO 6.0.4, then pointed it at a copy of the same vCO 5.5.1 Oracle database. vRO told me to update the database, and I was up and running. I used built-in synchronization of packages and workflows so I could import the vCO 5.5.1 objects into vRO 6.0.4. So far, this seems to be the best method to upgrade from 5.5.1 -> 6.0.4... Since ya know, it actually works. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos