VMware Cloud Community
ChaseWachtel
Contributor
Contributor

No User or Groups show up in VCO Permissions

I have a vCenter Orchestrator 5.5 appliance with sso authentication. When I go to add permissions to workflows, webviews, etc. I search for a user that has rights in vSphere, but does not show up in VCO Permissions Chooser. I even hit 'enter' on a blank line to try to get all available users/groups but none appear to select. vCenter is integrated with Active Directory. Please let me know if there is any other information that I may have left out that would be useful. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
17 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

You have to hit the "Enter" key once, or just start typing in the filter field.

Then you should see the groups appearing.

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos
ChaseWachtel
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I mentioned that in my post. Even after I hit 'Enter' nothing appears.

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

oops, sorry, I missed that.

Can you successfully use the "test login" in the vCO configuration pages with non admin users?

How large is you directory?

0 Kudos
ChaseWachtel
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I use an admin user account and a test account and they both test successfully on the configuration page. Our directory is decently large, probably around 10,000 users.

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

ok. Be aware that you only can assign permissions to groups, not to single users. So in this chooser only groups will be shown.

Next troubleshooting step would be to check the server.log of vCO for errors...

0 Kudos
ChaseWachtel
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent, thank you for your help so far. I think I have found the issue. Here is a related log:

2014-01-03 11:28:21.295-0500 [http-bio-10.67.109.233-8281-exec-1] WARN  {} [LdapCenterImpl] Unable to fetch all elements from LDAP : Error...:[Idm client exception: Failed to establish server connection][javax.naming.NamingException]

I will try to dig a little deeper.

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

http://www.vcoportal.de/2011/07/troubleshooting-ldap-erros-in-vco/

this article gives some details how to analyze LDAP errors in vco. The links there  point to a list of all the ldap error codes and there explanation.

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos
daijowen
Contributor
Contributor

Morning all,

I'm getting exactly the same issue. I'm running on vSphere 5.5b and am in the process of downloading 5.5Update 1 to see if its resolved in this release. Fingers Crossed. I will re-post if it does fix it - if not has anyone managed to work around this issue yet?

Kind regards,

Dai

0 Kudos
daijowen
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading to 5.5 Update 1 did not fix the issue. I'm logging a call with VMware and will let you know if I get it fixed.

0 Kudos
pfries_hwell
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI, I am having the exact same issue. I need to add the users to the vcoadmin group in SSO in order to get them access to the workflows.

0 Kudos
ChaseWachtel
Contributor
Contributor

I should have wrote back months ago. I finally figured it out. It had to do with fully qualified domain names and using that for authentication. We have a domain (domain.com for example) and some certificates were imported as just the server name, while others were imported with the FQDN. From my understanding, this affected how users would authenticate. Vcenter would think a user was a domain account while orchestrator was sending local accounts.

I eventually made my domain.com the default domain used for authentication in Vcenter and imported all certificates using the FQDN. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
weda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello, does anyone got an update on this?

0 Kudos
jogits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd love to know aswell. I have the exact same issue. Do not believe that I have imported any certificates with shortnames. Only FQDN.

The root domain of our forest is set as default domain for the vCenters but still nothing shows up in the list.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hey jogits

there seems to be a bug. I encountered that problem when I added the AD through the Windows Integrated Authentication which is new in 5.5 as Identity Source in SSO.

When I switched to AD as LDAP, it worked.

Either use this workaround if this is your problem as well or create a SR with VMware. They might provide a patch for your vCO.

Tim

0 Kudos
weda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I opened up an support case and I was told that it is a bug in a special VCO build we were using. So I was told to replace some files on the VCO app and that solved the problem for me.

0 Kudos
daijowen
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I also logged a call with VMware and they supplied me with a patch (this was also a number of Files that I had to replace on my Server with VCO installed) it corrected the issue for me and i've had no issues since.

0 Kudos
jogits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello weda

Thanks for the info. Will log an SR with VMware then. I am using the virtual appliance but that should still be possible to patch.

Tim Scheppeit we are using the IWA authentication but long story short - we started with vSphere 5.1 sso and AD over LDAP, did not work at all. Quickly upgraded to vSphere 5.5 to get IWA. Had initial problems with IWA and were advised by VMware to go back to AD over LDAP. Worked for a while, then AD groups no longer worked. Were advised by VMware to go to IWA and now it works. So I would hate to go back to LDAP again as it is a pain adding 23 domains via LDAP Smiley Happy

0 Kudos