VMware Cloud Community
frippeisking
Contributor
Contributor

Keeping track of (deployment) states

Where is the best place to keep track of states?

I have a resource action I'd like to be idempotent (i.e only be allowed to run once).
The resource action operates on a vm resource. In vRA 7.x we'd simply update the custom properties of that vm. But the PATCH on /iaas/api/machines/{id} only allows tags to be set. Could do it as a tag but ... But pref. not.

Using Configuration Elements as a small DB is an option but then keeping them in sync would be required.

The resource action spins of a "Run script in guest" so I could also place a guard in the script making it idempotent. But then I couldn't filter out the status to make the resource action greyed out if the action had already been run earlier...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert

You can update machine custom properties by

curl -k -s -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -H "Authorization: Bearer $access_token" "https://vra8.corp.local/iaas/api/machines/0bef43a7-cfcf-45fc-b98d-6087c1c7cb59" -X PATCH -d '{"customProperties":{"myprop":"updated"}}'

0 Kudos
frippeisking
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Xian,

My thread is really about PATCH not ALLOWING new customProperties to be passed if you read my post. It's not allowed and not part of the schema looking at the documentation. I have tried it and it does not work.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

Sorry to hear that. It worked for me.

Patching via vRA API does not involve the schema. 

0 Kudos
frippeisking
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

Actually this is a feature of 8.2 looking at the release notes. Thanks for responding!

Custom property update via API

Update custom property for machines through IaaS API

0 Kudos