VMware Cloud Community
EleK47
Contributor
Contributor

Impossible to get VM name or id when destroyed by expiring

Hello,

I need to identify VMs recently destroyed when they expire. If the Vms are manually destroyed I can get the informations I need, but, in this particular case I cannot.

I even tried to take the informations from expirations taking place 30 days earlier  (the destruction occurs 30 days after the expiration date) but I have the same issue.

Do you know a way to ientify the destroyed VM in every case ?

Thank you in advance.

8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Since you posted this in the vRO sub-forum, I assume you're asking about a way to get this in a workflow run. Otherwise, one possible would be with Log Insight integration. Since this is surfaced in the logs, a well-crafted alert or dashboard widget should show you these VMs.

EleK47
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I was asking how to get the informations with a workflow run. I am not familiar with Log Insight, I'll take a look a it ! Thank you !

0 Kudos
EleK47
Contributor
Contributor

So, with Log Insight we can get the messages from Infrastructure/Recent Events in vRA ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Not 100% on that. Things under Infrastructure including Recent Events and Monitoring => Logs are usually written directly to the SQL IaaS database into tables. I don't know if the Recent Events are logged to a file or not.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I just checked my lab environment (vRA 7.3) and, yes, this is captured in the c:\program files (x86)\vmware\vcac\server\logs\all.log file assuming you have the vRLI agent installed on your IaaS boxes with agent groups properly configured.

0 Kudos
EleK47
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thank you again ! It would be a good thing to get the recent events as it gives the names of the destroyed VMs. I'll examine this possibility.

0 Kudos
EleK47
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, in my case the vRA server seems to be Linux based. I didn't manage to find the file all.log at the moment.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you read what I wrote, I said the log is on the IaaS boxes, not the appliance.

0 Kudos