VMware Cloud Community
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import ssl cert to vCO 5.1 from vRO 6.0

Hi,

My case: I am trying to connect via multi-node plug-in vCO 5.1 with vRO 6.0.

When I import ssl cert from vRO 6.0 I get the error "Could not import the SSL certificate. Check whether the URL https://myvRO6.0.mydomain.net:8281 is a valid SSL connection."

I am able to see page https://myvRO6.0.mydomain.net:8281/ if I placed it to browser.

In other hand, in opposite way it is working fine.

No information in server.log

Could anybody help with this, thank you.

Jan

0 Kudos
10 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

You can try to import the certificate manually, using the webbased vRO configuration (network section, SSL tab)...

0 Kudos
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Joerg,

yes I am trying it do it manually over the configuration page, I'm just thinking if hsould helps me if I import cert signed by CA for my destination server.

Have you ever seen this between this two version of vRO?

Rgds,

Jan

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've seen such behavior when manually importing certificate from vRO 6.x to vCO 5.1.x when I used an URL/IP without a port number.

BTW, server.log is vCO server log file. When you import a certificate from vCO Web Configurator, you should look at configuration log file. For vCO 5.1.x, it is located at /opt/vmo/configuration/jetty/logs/jetty.log

0 Kudos
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Illian,

even in jetty.log file I haven't found relevant warning, just plug-ins and vcenter extensions testers and all seems OK.

I found some message in vco-rochestrator.log, could you please check it for me, it is attached

I have imported cer file to my 5.1 but it doesn't help.

thks for your reply, do you have another tips?

Jan

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, this SSL handshake exception is exactly the reason why the certificate import fails.

Usually, such error is caused by incompatible cipher suites or incompatible SSL versions, for example if client uses only SSLv2 or SSLv3 and server accepts only TLSv1 or higher (which is the case with the latest release of vRO 6.0.3 and upcoming 7.0).

What are the exact versions/builds of vCO 5.1.x and vRO 6.0.x that you use? This should tell us which ciphers/SSL versions are in use.

This page https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/diagnosing_tls_ssl_and_https contains some useful tips for diagnosing such issues, for example how to print debugging info for connections using javax.net.debug parameter. You may try to add it to file /opt/vmo/configuration/jetty/start_jetty.sh (within JETTY_JVM_OPTS variable) and check the logs for info related to SSL connections.

0 Kudos
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ilian,

my win instances I am trying to connect are in versions 6.0.2.2730887 & 5.1.1 build 2980

I will check url you suggested and let you know if it will help me.

Thx

Jan

0 Kudos
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried to add debug properties to bat also to sh file, but any log contains debug messages.

I tried to follow link you sent but now chance to test or investigate more deeply now.

Do you have any other tips regarding my versions?

thx

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A couple of other things come to mind:

(1) You can try to enable SSLv3 support on your vRO 6 side. Open the files /etc/vco/configuration/server.xml (vRO configurator) and /etc/vco/app-server/server.xml (vRO server), and change the following attribute

sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1, TLSv1.1, TLSv1.2"

to

sslEnabledProtocols="SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1, TLSv1.2"

after this change, restart the corresponding vRO services for changes to take effect.

(2) Check which Java version is used by vCO 5.1. I think vCO 5.1.x uses Java 1.6 which can send SSLv2 client hello messages. I'd suggest to try with latest version of Java 1.7 where SSLv2 client hello messages are removed.

0 Kudos
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I've done your suggestions about SSLv3 and it didn't help, do you think that it is enough to copy java.exe from vRO6 where is 1.7 to vCO5.1?

I've checked server.xml on 5.1 side and here I have diffie-helmans ciphers and sslProtocol="TLS", should I do any change here also?

0 Kudos
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My issue was solved by open ports on Firewall so I mark this as answered

0 Kudos