VMware Cloud Community
Subnet88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Import / Export Database resource

I am attempting to import a database resource object that was exported from another vco server. Upon import the resource elements are created, however the database object is not. The log shows the following error. Any ideas?

13-04-10 19:59:41.251+0000 ERROR [DatabaseDAOImpl] cannot create database from resource vlans.xml
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: org.bouncycastle.crypto.InvalidCipherTextException: pad block corrupted : org.bouncycastle.crypto.InvalidCipherTextException: pad block corrupted
---- Debugging information ----
message             : org.bouncycastle.crypto.InvalidCipherTextException: pad block corrupted
cause-exception     : java.lang.RuntimeException
cause-message       : org.bouncycastle.crypto.InvalidCipherTextException: pad block corrupted
class               : com.vmware.o11n.plugin.database.Database
required-type       : java.lang.String
path                : /com.vmware.o11n.plugin.database.Database/password
line number         : 108
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi!

FIRST of all: Try to run the Update Database workflow, it allows you to input and reset the password!

Background: AFAIK the passwords are encrypted with a 'salt' specific to the vCO server. So the destination vCO server should not even be able to decrypt the password to the database stored in that resource element.

Cheers,

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi!

FIRST of all: Try to run the Update Database workflow, it allows you to input and reset the password!

Background: AFAIK the passwords are encrypted with a 'salt' specific to the vCO server. So the destination vCO server should not even be able to decrypt the password to the database stored in that resource element.

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Subnet88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Joerg,

I am unable to select the imported resource element in the Update a Database workflow, as the Database doesnt correctly import due to the encrypted password. Any other ideas?

I really need the Unique ID's of this database to remain consant between VCO servers so I can scale out the workflows.

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you edit the resource element manually?

If so, create a new database connection with th same password and copy the encrypted string from that connection's resource element.

... worth a shot Smiley Happy

Von Samsung Galaxy Note gesendet

Subnet88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, When I attempt to edit the resoure element via the VCO UI, I can see the contents of the xml, but editing is not possible.   I have searched the VCO appliance for the xml that makes up the resource element, it was not found. Any idea where the raw XML might be stored, so I can attempt to modify?

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The resource elements are stored in the vCO database. To edit them manualy you need to export them. You can also edit them programatically.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
Subnet88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you guys!

That did it. Process as below.

1) Synchronize resource elements with a package and the Mult Node Plugin

2) Create a dummy database on the destination server

3) Click on Resource Elements( Design Mode)

4) Select your Dummy Database

5) Click "Viewer"

6) Scroll to the bottom, Copy the data between the "<password>" tags

7) Right click on synchronized resource element --> Export

😎 edit exported xml to update the data between the "<password>" tags--> Save file

9) Right click on synchronized resource element --> Update

10) Select saved xml

11) Delete Dummy Database

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Glad you got it working!

Thanks for the feedback and the nice description!

Now feel free to create a workflow for it (should even be possible) :smileysilly:

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos