VMware Cloud Community
kunalkhairnar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If vRealize Orchestrator Plugin for vSphere Web Client lists vCenter as "Unusable" - What permissions/configurations to check for?

This is specific to the vRealize Orchestrator Plugin for vSphere Web Client.

Version details:

vSphere 6.0 Update 1

vRealize Orchestrator 7.2

Configuration:

The vRO is configured to Authentication against the same vCenter Server (vSphere) with domain user "superadmin" with full Adminstrator permissions on vCenter Server and vRO.

The vCenter Server instance is added to vRO with "a session per user" mode providing the domain user "superadmin" credentials.

vRO is registered as a vCenter Server extension using "Register vCenter Orchestrator as a vCenter Server extension" workflow.

If vRealize Orchestrator Plugin for vSphere Web Client lists vCenter as "Unusable" - What permissions/configurations to check for?

Is there a VMware documentation to refer to?

Thank you in advance for your time.

vROPluginListsvCenterUnusable.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

daphnissov​ - the first screenshot is from the Flex-based vSphere Web client, and it shows that the vRO plug-in is deployed successfully and can communicate with the vRO server vro72-01...com

kunalkhairnar​ - if "superadmin" user account has full admin permissions on both vRO and vCenter, then probably the problem is not permission-related. This (Unusable) prefix is automatically added to vCenter connection display name when there is some problem with communication between vRO vCenter plug-in and vCenter server (login problem, certificate problem, etc.).

As a first step to troubleshoot the problem, I'd suggest to check vRO server logs for errors/exceptions logged by vCenter plug-in. The logs can be found in vRO appliance, in /var/log/vco/app-server/ folder; the main log file is named server.log

If you don't have SSH access to vRO appliance, you can export the vRO log bundle as a zip file from vRO Control Center UI.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're talking about the "plugin for vsphere web client", but that's not what you're showing. You're showing the inventory for the vSphere plug-in. It has nothing to do with vRO being registered as an extension and thus seeing it within the vSphere Web Client. If you're not trying to interact with or "consume" vRO inside the Flex client, there's no need to register it as an extension. This action will not bar you from connecting to vCenter Server and using vRO against its inventory.

As for the "unusable" part, that I've not seen. Do you still get that if you change the vCenter registration from per-session to single user?

iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

daphnissov​ - the first screenshot is from the Flex-based vSphere Web client, and it shows that the vRO plug-in is deployed successfully and can communicate with the vRO server vro72-01...com

kunalkhairnar​ - if "superadmin" user account has full admin permissions on both vRO and vCenter, then probably the problem is not permission-related. This (Unusable) prefix is automatically added to vCenter connection display name when there is some problem with communication between vRO vCenter plug-in and vCenter server (login problem, certificate problem, etc.).

As a first step to troubleshoot the problem, I'd suggest to check vRO server logs for errors/exceptions logged by vCenter plug-in. The logs can be found in vRO appliance, in /var/log/vco/app-server/ folder; the main log file is named server.log

If you don't have SSH access to vRO appliance, you can export the vRO log bundle as a zip file from vRO Control Center UI.

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My mistake, that part of the screen got cut off somehow.

kunalkhairnar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the prompt response.

The first screenshot in the above image is for the:

vSphere Web Client > Home > vRealize Orchestrator

while trying to execute vRO workflow from the vSphere Web Client - vRO Servers > {vRO instance } > Library > vCenter > Virtual Machine management > Power Management > Power off virtual machine and wait

As part of the workflow execution it is required to select the virtual machine from the vCenter instance listed in vRO Inventory.

The screenshot shows the vCenter listed as Unusable.

The second screenshot in the above image is for the:

vRO Client listing the same vCenter instance without any issues.

>>> Do you still get that if you change the vCenter registration from per-session to single user?

Great suggestion! I tried it out and with single user (share a session mode) the vCenter Inventory is listed correctly when accessed from the vSphere Web Client > Home > vRealize Orchestrator.

is there a VMware documentation to refer for permissions/configurations specific to the vRO plugin accessible in vSphere web client?

vROPluginListsvCenterSuccessfullyShareASessionMode.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is there a VMware documentation to refer for permissions/configurations specific to the vRO plugin accessible in vSphere web client?

There's just the general vRO documentation you can find on the respective page. I'm not sure if the vCenter plug-in is designed to work with per-session authentication. Ilian might be able to say better. In my experience, I almost never have used that because of wonky issues that develop with one plug-in or another.

iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, vCenter plug-in works just fine in session-per-user mode. In fact, many customers prefer this mode as it gives them easier auditing/control over whoever does what on vCenter.

kunalkhairnar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you iiliev and daphnissov​ !

I agree that both modes "a user per session" and "share a unique session" works all fine.

Thanks once again for your valuable inputs and insights on my query.

0 Kudos