VMware Cloud Community
ElecHires
Contributor
Contributor

How vco stock and use active directory password

hello every body,
i have a question about, the way vco use to encrypt store and use the "active directory password" ?

i found this on the subject :http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vco_40_install_config_guide.pdf

at the page 31:

2016-10-03 16_45_35-vCenter Orchestrator Installation and Configuration Guide - vco_40_install_confi.png

but i need more information on it.

how he does work ?

Tags (1)
5 Replies
jacksonecac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is a workflow under

Microsoft -> AD -> configurations -> add domain server (I think or similiarly named)

You then provide the domain server's information as well as an account to access the server with. You type in the password in a secure string box so it is not visible to the user or anyone else.

Once that is done it saves the connection string data with the object in the vro database and in doing this it encrypts the password into a hash to store with the domain server connection information. (Using the hashing algorithm you provided in the docs). Any time vro needs to interact with the domain server after that is uses the hashed password that it saved to connect to the domain server.

Also there is a secureString object which does the same thing. You can save any password (in say a local variable in a vro workflow) and it will be hashed and saved in the vro database so any user

could use that particular workflow with the credentials but not know what the password was. (You then could limit the access of that workflow to only qualified users)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password-based_cryptography

Vro utilizes the multi-party method. (I believe)

iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

This document is a bit outdated.

The recent versions of vRealize Orchestrator use a FIPS-compliant Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) with a 256-bit cipher key for encryption of strings. The cipher key is randomly generated and is unique across appliances that are not part of a cluster. All nodes in a cluster share the same cipher key.

Every plug-in that has configuration workflow(s) collects the config information provided by the user and stores it server-side so each node in vRO cluster share the same plug-in configuration. Password fields are automatically encrypted when the configuration is persisted. Plug-ins have access to configuration persister service on Java code level.

0 Kudos
ElecHires
Contributor
Contributor

jacksonecac

if i understood right every time VRO need to interact with the server is use the hashed password but ! is use a reverse method or a correspondence table ?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

AES is a symmetric-key algorithm, meaning the same crypto keys used to encrypt the passwords before persisting them at vRO server side are also used to decrypt the persisted data back as plain text when needed (eg. when trying to establish a connection to AD server).

jacksonecac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What he said ^

0 Kudos