VMware Cloud Community
pankajchhabra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How can I set specific Properties on a Virtual Machine when I provision from VRA 7?

Hello,

Here is a simple scenario - I have Linux VM on which I have my own properties "Property_1" and "Property_2". I have converted this to template.

On VRA 7 I have used this template in Blueprint and I do use Clone and Workflow type as Clone Workflow.

Is It possible for me pass the Property_1 and Property_2 from VRA and set this on the newly Cloned VM. If yes, will these values be set before the machine is created or after machine provisioning.

I could not get this working on VRA 6.x, so wanted to check if this supported in VRA 7.

Thanks,

Pankaj

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are these properties something that you have inside the virtual machine or are these "tags" within something like vCenter? With vRA 7 you can pass custom properties at any given state or event to a virtual machine it's all a question of what you are actually trying to accomplish.

Take a look at these two posts, 1 is collecting information at different times

Enabling the Event Broker           

2 is executing a command on linux (i.e. using a property to execute it)

Dynamic install of the app authoring agent           

0 Kudos
pankajchhabra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have an OVA and I have added some properties to it.  For example think of it as Log Insight Vmware OVA where there are parameters like Host. Password etc. I have created this to a template. So for creating to a template, we deploy this OVA with some dummy parameter and convert it to a template. Now when we do the actual provisioning I would like to set the parameters which user specified in catalog request execution. Ideally I would like to do it before even the machine powers on and due to some security issues would not like to call Linux agent or VMtools on the VM.

Please note I had tried on VRA 6.2 and it did not work for specific properties but worked for VMware custom properties only.

So is there a way to set these properties, which are specific to my VM, from VRA?. I can tie VRO workflow at machine building stage if it is possible to set the OVF settings of my VM.

Thanks,

Pankaj

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't believe there is a way to do this out of the box. The only method I can think of that might work for passing properties into vCenter for an OVA would be to call it using the vCenter API which you would have to manually set up in vRO with the REST plugin. To find out the method so you can make the calls you would want to use onyx and discover what the API calls look like.

0 Kudos