VMware Cloud Community
pezh0re
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hot Add RAM via Workflow

I'm working on a workflow to change RAM/vCPU for a given VM, ideally using hot-add, and I seem to be running into an issue with the RAM portion. My plan is to just get something working for now, then add logic to deal with the various conditions (hot add not enabled/VM Powered on, etc).

So far I have a relatively simple workflow (see below). The VM in question has 2GB of RAM and is powered on.

problem.png

I've also looked at using the Change RAM workflow directly, but it gives me the same error. I'm using vSphere 5.5, vCO 5.5.2 - any thoughts?

EDIT: I should mention that my test VM has hot add enabled, it's supported by the OS, I have the proper licensing, and that VMware tools are current.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pezh0re
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found the problem... turns out Linux 64bit guests with less than 3GB of RAM can only hot-add up to a max total of 3072MB. If you're at 3071MB, you can only hot add 1 MB. If you're at 3073, you can hot add all the way up to 20GB if you so desire.

There's a KB for this: KB2008405.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pezh0re
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found the problem... turns out Linux 64bit guests with less than 3GB of RAM can only hot-add up to a max total of 3072MB. If you're at 3071MB, you can only hot add 1 MB. If you're at 3073, you can hot add all the way up to 20GB if you so desire.

There's a KB for this: KB2008405.

0 Kudos