VMware Cloud Community
Pilu1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host Config and Runtime

Hi,

Need one help.

var esxhosts = VcPlugin.getAllHostSystems()

My vRO is hanging whenever I am running the above code. I was reading some articles where it is mentioned that code needs to be written with xpath when doing large queries against VC to consume less source.

Is it possible to retrieve only runtime and config property of hosts using xpath. If yes, how to do it?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Pilu1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I get an update please?

0 Kudos
Pilu1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does it mean there is no way to retrieve only one or two property of hosts rather retrieving all the properties in vRO like we do in powercli as shown below

$allHosts = Get-View -ViewType HostSystem -Property "name","Summary","Config" -Filter @{"Config.Template"="False"}

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VcPlugin.getAllHostSystems() returns all host systems on all vCenter endpoints registered in vRO.

I'd suggest to first check if you have a stale vCenter endpoint connection. Certain builds of vCenter plug-in had issues if one of the endpoints is not responding, and such faulty endpoint could affect / slowdown the entire plug-in. Also consider updating the vCenter plug-in to the lasted build available for download here in the community forums, in case you have an older build.

0 Kudos
Pilu1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

vCenter plug-in version is showing 6.5 as it is connected to 6.5 vCenter. I guess plug in version depends on the version of vCenter endpoint  vRO is connected to.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not necessarily, for example newer plug-in plug-in builds for version 6.5 can talk with vCenter server version 6.0, 6.5 and 6.7.

If you check the following page https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-32872, you'll find many builds of vCenter plug-in version 6.5 available, with newer builds containing additional bug fixes / improvements. So if you experience some issues with your current plug-in, one option is to check whether the issue is already resolved in the latest builds available there.

0 Kudos
Pilu1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

Back to my original question is t possible to retrieve only runtime and summary property of hosts instead of all the host properties..

0 Kudos
Pilu1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Could anyone please reply if it is not possible to retrieve only runtime properties of the Hosts so that I can move forward and look for other options.

0 Kudos