VMware Cloud Community
NutanNandanwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Getting "Connection refused" error in eclipse/IntelliJ while connecting it to vRO 7.5 which is in debug mode

I am getting "Connection refused" error in eclipse/IntelliJ while connecting it to vRO 7.5 which is in debug mode.

I have tried connecting to 4-5 vRO's(version 7.5) from my eclipse but getting same error.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If I recall correctly, there was an open PR about issues with enabling remote debug from Control Center.

Could you to connect via SSH to your vRO appliance and open the file /usr/lib/vco/app-server/bin/setenv.sh, then search within it for variable named REMOTE_DEBUG. By default, this variable is used only on couple of places, similar to the following:

#REMOTE_DEBUG="-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5055"

CATALINA_OPTS="$REMOTE_DEBUG $JVM_OPTS $AGENT_PATHS $JAVA_AGENTS $JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH"

Note that the first line above starts with a '#' character, which means the line is commented and setting the value has no effect. If there is no other line where REMOTE_DEBUG value is set without '#' character at line start, this means the remote debugging is not enabled.

To manually enable the remote debugging, the easiest way is to remove the '#' character before REMOTE_DEBUG, then save the modified setenv.sh file, and then restart the vRO server manually, using the following command:

service vco-server restart

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you sure your vRO server is running with remote debug option enabled? What steps did you follow to put it in this mode?

Another possible reason is due to firewall settings.

0 Kudos
NutanNandanwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, my vRO server is running with remote debug option enabled.

Below are steps that we have used to make debug mode enabled:

1) Logged in to Control Center.

2) Click Orchestrator Debugging.

3) Click Enable debugging.

4) Entered port no. (Kept it default 5055)

5) Saved it.

After vRO gets restart successfully tried to connect it from my IDE.

- Regarding firewall: We turned OFF all the setting for firewall from my development machine (Windows 2010)  and again tried to connect it from my IDE but didn't work.

Even if I tried to connect from my IDE to the vRO using home network.

I have executed the following commands from my vRO using putty:

Please find the attached Screenshot:

1) vRO debug mode

pastedImage_1.png

2) Executed NetStat and LSOF command for the same port i:e 5055 and it was not listening.

We executed the same command for other port and it was listening

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If I recall correctly, there was an open PR about issues with enabling remote debug from Control Center.

Could you to connect via SSH to your vRO appliance and open the file /usr/lib/vco/app-server/bin/setenv.sh, then search within it for variable named REMOTE_DEBUG. By default, this variable is used only on couple of places, similar to the following:

#REMOTE_DEBUG="-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5055"

CATALINA_OPTS="$REMOTE_DEBUG $JVM_OPTS $AGENT_PATHS $JAVA_AGENTS $JAVA_LIBRARY_PATH"

Note that the first line above starts with a '#' character, which means the line is commented and setting the value has no effect. If there is no other line where REMOTE_DEBUG value is set without '#' character at line start, this means the remote debugging is not enabled.

To manually enable the remote debugging, the easiest way is to remove the '#' character before REMOTE_DEBUG, then save the modified setenv.sh file, and then restart the vRO server manually, using the following command:

service vco-server restart

0 Kudos
NutanNandanwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Llian for the solution.

The debug mode is working now.

0 Kudos