VMware Cloud Community
jarushepic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Get VcComputeResource from VcHostSystem object?

I'm trying to create a workflow that will take two arguments - a host and a destination cluster.  Then I'd like the workflow to remove it from the current cluster, if it is in one, do a bunch of storage related things on the SAN, and add it to the destination cluster.  I thought the VMware bits for this would be easy, but apparently they aren't.

If I have a parameter of type VcHostSystem, I can't select a host that isn't in a cluster because it is of type VcComputeResource.  So I'm not even sure how I'd run the workflow vCenter / Host Management / Basic / Move host into Cluster.  That workflow takes a hostsystem, and I can't seem to select the host that isn't in a cluster.  Hoping I'm missing something here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just start the workflow, open the object chooser tree view for the host system parameter, and drill down to the node which represents the host that isn't in a cluster.

It is indeed of type VcComputeResource, but if you expand its child nodes, one of these child nodes should be of type VcHostSystem (usually it has the same label as its parent node - IP address of the host). The chooser should allow you to select this child node and continue with workflow execution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just start the workflow, open the object chooser tree view for the host system parameter, and drill down to the node which represents the host that isn't in a cluster.

It is indeed of type VcComputeResource, but if you expand its child nodes, one of these child nodes should be of type VcHostSystem (usually it has the same label as its parent node - IP address of the host). The chooser should allow you to select this child node and continue with workflow execution.

0 Kudos