VMware Cloud Community
sidhartanoleto
Contributor
Contributor

Extend vRealize Automation

Hi everyone,

I'm building a set of workflow on vRealize Orchestrator and I want to also extend vRealize Automation pages with new Reservation Types and Endpoints Plugins.

I could not find anything on the documentation that explains how to add new entries on its menus like a plugin installation the way we do on vRealize Orchestrator.

Do you guys know how to do it? Is it just a matter of creating new objects on vRO object tree? Or is it a new kind of plugin that I should implement?

Thanks in advance.

Sid.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
poorem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you expand on what it is that you're trying to achieve?

The menus in the vRA UI can't be changed. If you're looking at adding something additional as a managed item to vRA (i.e. some sort of plugin object from vRO), yes that's possible via XaaS catalog items.

0 Kudos
sidhartanoleto
Contributor
Contributor

Sure!

For instance, I would like to create a new entry on the Reservation creation page. When I click on "New" a drop down appears with several option. I want to create a new one:

pastedImage_0.png

Also, in this example the tabs have different content depending on the Reservation Type selected:

pastedImage_3.png

The same idea is applied for endpoints.

Is it possible to create new entries and form content on those?  

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's not possible to do this. vRA doesn't allow extension in this fashion. As mentioned earlier, you can use XaaS to achieve some extension, but menu items and pages cannot be extended.

0 Kudos
sidhartanoleto
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to create new entries via API?

For instance, in the documentation, there is a ReservationTypeService that provides a creation method. In theory I could call it and try to add a ReservationType along with its form content.

If that works, I could also try to call it on a vRO plugin installation script to execute and create those menu entries.

But again, that is just an idea based on the documentation. Do you think it could work?

0 Kudos
poorem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yup, as daphnissov​ says below, it's not possible to make those sorts of changes to vRA yourself. If there are different endpoints that you want added there, it'd have to be added by the vRA developers.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, it doesn't work like that.

0 Kudos