VMware Cloud Community
DanHoltz
Contributor
Contributor

Executing workflow via API with non admin user results in 404

Hello,

I am trying to run a workflow via the REST API but I am having issues when running it with a non vRO admin user. Using all the same data to submit if I use my user(a vRO Admin) I will get a Status 202 accepted and in the header I will see the call back for the status of the workflow.

When I try this same thing with the non vRO Admin, even if granted all 5 permissions at the top level, I am always returned a 500 internal server error but the workflow does start. If I then try to access what the status call would be I am returned 404 Execution workflow not found.

I have tried various different combinations of permissions at different levels but always with the same result. Below is the stack trace that is provided with the 500

I am using vRO 6.0.1 and below is an example layout for the workflow I am trying to execute. Thanks for any help.

Library

Workflows

Subworkflows

-wf1

-wf2

-mainwf(this calls both wf1 & wf2)

org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
    org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:973)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:863)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:647)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:837)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)
    org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:330)
    org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:118)
    org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:84)
    org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:342)
    org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:113)
    org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:342)
    org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.java:113)
    org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:154)
    org.springframework.security.web.authentication.www.BasicAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(BasicAuthenticationFilter.java:201)
    org.springframework.security.web.context.request.async.WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.doFilterInternal(WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.java:50)
    org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:108)
    org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:87)
    org.springframework.security.web.access.channel.ChannelProcessingFilter.doFilter(ChannelProcessingFilter.java:144)
    org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilterInternal(FilterChainProxy.java:192)
    org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:160)
    org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344)
    org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261)
    org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)
    org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:108)
    com.vmware.o11n.web.cluster.RestActiveNodeFilter.doFilter(RestActiveNodeFilter.java:38)
    org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:344)
    org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:261)
    org.springframework.web.filter.HiddenHttpMethodFilter.doFilterInternal(HiddenHttpMethodFilter.java:77)
    com.vmware.o11n.json.DefaultJsonVersionHeaderFilter.doFilter(DefaultJsonVersionHeaderFilter.java:95)
</pre>
            </p>
            <p>
                <b>root cause</b>
                <pre>java.lang.NullPointerException
    com.vmware.o11n.sdk.util.WorkflowServiceUtils.getInputParametersFromToken(WorkflowServiceUtils.java:104)
    com.vmware.o11n.sdk.util.WorkflowServiceUtils.createInputParameters(WorkflowServiceUtils.java:50)
    com.vmware.o11n.sdk.workflow.WorkflowServiceImpl.buildDetailedWorkflowExecution(WorkflowServiceImpl.java:262)
    com.vmware.o11n.sdk.workflow.WorkflowServiceImpl.createWorkflowExecution(WorkflowServiceImpl.java:92)
    com.vmware.o11n.web.workflow.ExecutionController.startWorkflowExecution(ExecutionController.java:283)
    sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:215)
    org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:132)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle(ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:104)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.invokeHandleMethod(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:749)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.handleInternal(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:690)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.handle(AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.java:83)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:945)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:876)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:961)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:863)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:647)
    org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:837)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)
    org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:330)
    org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:118)
    org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:84)
    org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:113)
    org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.java:113)
    org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:154)
    org.springframework.security.web.authentication.www.BasicAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(BasicAuthenticationFilter.java:201)
    org.springframework.security.web.context.request.async.WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.doFilterInternal(WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.java:50)
    org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:87)
    org.springframework.security.web.access.channel.ChannelProcessingFilter.doFilter(ChannelProcessingFilter.java:144)
    org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilterInternal(FilterChainProxy.java:192)
    org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:160)
    org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)
    com.vmware.o11n.web.cluster.RestActiveNodeFilter.doFilter(RestActiveNodeFilter.java:38)
    org.springframework.web.filter.HiddenHttpMethodFilter.doFilterInternal(HiddenHttpMethodFilter.java:77)
    com.vmware.o11n.json.DefaultJsonVersionHeaderFilter.doFilter(DefaultJsonVersionHeaderFilter.java:95)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Dan,

That null pointer exception on WorkflowServiceUtils.java:104 looks really bad.

Do you get this problem only with one particular workflow, or with any workflows you try? If only with this particular workflow, could you send it to me so I can try to reproduce it in my dev environment? Also, could you provide a bit more info? For example, does your workflow have input/output parameters or attributes? How the sub workflows wf1 and wf2 are called? How do you invoke it via REST and how the request body/headers look like? What is the format of the request body - JSON or XML? If possible, could you also send me the full vRO server log, or if not possible, could you check if there are other exceptions/errors, especially database related?

0 Kudos
DanHoltz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi llian,

It seems that any flow that I try has the same result with this user and in looking at all the logs the only issues that I am seeing are the same error as posted prior.

I a calling the API with the below call and setting Accept & Content-Type to application/json

vco/api/workflows/97abc75a-dd0f-41d0-8cb8-8639febb036a/executions/

I am passing the following json into the flow

{

"parameters": [

{

"type": "string",

"scope": "local",

"name": "VMName",

"value": {

"string": {

"value": "VMDelete-01"

}

}

}

]

}

The flow that I am using as my main example takes a VM name in and then processes it via multiple sub workflows that are calling powershell scripts. It's a somewhat basic workflow please see the attached screen shot for an example of one that is running.

The API call does start the workflow and will complete successfully with both users but only in the case of the user in the admin group does it return the callback and is able to query the status of the job. When I get a chance today I will try with a 3rd user to see if I have any success with that one. Thanks

0 Kudos