VMware Cloud Community
radio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error with AD plugin

Hi all,

I'm getting the error "Unable to execute 'fetchRelation' for type : ActiveDirectory : java.lang.NullPointerExeption

Played around with different configurations for the plugin without success. Any ideas?

vco.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,
There is a new patch release update of vCenter Orchestrator Active Directory plug-in 1.0.1 that should fix the NullPointer exception that you reported.
Please, let us know if the issue still persists since the issue seems to be environment dependent and we had hard time determining the root cause of the issue.
Thanks,
Igor.
Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
39 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi!

Have you set the proper AD-Settings in the plugin-configuration in the webbased Orchestrator configuration tool?

(you may copy it from the LDAP-settings, but you have configure it at least once)

In other plugins, you get comparable errors when something is going wrong with the config or the external system (here: The AD-Server) is not reachable from vCO and/or the configured credentials.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
radio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The plugin configuration looks ok for me. I copied it from the LDAP config and it has a green status. I also played around with some settings like shared session and the port (ldap / global catalog). Unfortunately it does not change anything. The user also has also full browsing rights. I double checked this with our AD expert here, so I'm pretty sure that the settings are ok.

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

hm, ok.

Than I have two ideas:

1. Can you just try it with an user which has Domain Administrative rights?

2. check in $vco-install-dir/app-server/server/vmo/log the server.log file, if there are some "better" error messages.

Unfortunately, in the plugin-documentation there is not a lot of information about the requirements and troubleshooting 😞

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

next idea:

just try to start one workflow (e.g. the "Create an OU") to see if it works, maybe we also get some more terse LDAP-error messages then.

Cheers,

joerg

radio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting...running that workflow works! It seems that just browsing in the inventory has a problem.

We have a lot of objects in our AD, could that be the cause?

Frank

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

depending on your AD-structure: I can imagine that the user does not have proper rights allover the complete structure. And so the inventory-view brakes when it reaches a point of no access....

Also: I don't think the plugin supports trusted domains and forests, if you have some.

For the scalability: can you give a "house number", how many objects you have?

0 Kudos
ppanicherski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you please provide the server log file. I want to investigate this to see if it is a bug or an issue with permissions/rights or a configuration issue

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The plug-in is supposed to support forest. This is one of the improvements over the previous Microsoft plug-in.

You should definitely open a support request to VMware Global Support Services to have this troubleshooted & fixed.

Christophe.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

good to know, thanks for clarification 🙂

0 Kudos
radio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank You all for your great responses...

I've attached the log file (just exchanged the original username with a placeholder). If I should open an official call, please let me know...

For the AD structure, I guess we have at least 200.000 objects, forests, trusts, everything... there are certainly bigger environments, but it has some complexity Smiley Happy

But hopefully that's not the cause anyway.

Frank

0 Kudos
ppanicherski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi again,

Thanks for the log file.

I investigated the stack trace and compared it with the source code of the AD plugin. It looks like the  MSPluginFactory of the AD plugin is working with a "DIFFERENT ?!?" version of Container class (I see in stacktrace that methods that do not exist in current version of AD plugin's Container class are called)

Is it possible that You have forgot to uninstall the Microsoft plugin?

Please make sure that you have completely removed the old Microsoft plugin + delete the microsoft DAR file from the plugins folder, and then please restart the VCO.

I'll continue digging into this and I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
radio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi!

Wait, uninstall the Microsoft plugin? Did I miss something?

I've got the following plugins in the plugin directory:

o11nplugin-ad.dar
o11nplugin-enums.dar
o11nplugin-jakartacommonsnet.dar
o11nplugin-jdbc.dar
o11nplugin-library.dar
o11nplugin-mail.dar
o11nplugin-ssh.dar
o11nplugin-vmware-update-manager.dar
o11nplugin-vsphere41.dar
o11nplugin-weboperator.dar
o11nplugin-xml.dar
0 Kudos
ppanicherski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In your case it is obvious you do not have Microsoft plugin...so you are not missing anything.

I'll let you know if I find something that migh help.

0 Kudos
ChrisMueller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there allready a sollution found for this issue.

Currently I have the same problem on a fresh installed vCO. In weboperator browsing is possible. In the GUI inventory I got a error.

In the log there are not really hints. But in my log I nearly see the same errors as ratio. I noticed the following entry:

Plugin config file 'o11nplugin-ad.dar' : SAX parsing exception 'cvc-complex-type.3.2.2: Attribute 'invoker-mode' is not allowed to appear in element 'action'.'

0 Kudos
radio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Chris, I've still no solution.

Cheers

Frank

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Chirs and Frank,

The issue does seem to be environment related and it took us time to investigate possible root causes. We are preparing a possible fix and will have a patch release soon. I will keep you updated.
Thanks for you feedback.
Regards,
Igor.
Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
mcssschaefer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

today I encountered exactly the same problem. So, when you need log files from an other scenario, don't hesitate to contact me.

@ppanicherski:

Also I am a bit confused about your reply:

ppanicherski schrieb:

Hi again,

Thanks for the log file.

I investigated the stack trace and compared it with the source code of the AD plugin. It looks like the  MSPluginFactory of the AD plugin is working with a "DIFFERENT ?!?" version of Container class (I see in stacktrace that methods that do not exist in current version of AD plugin's Container class are called)

Is it possible that You have forgot to uninstall the Microsoft plugin?

Please make sure that you have completely removed the old Microsoft plugin + delete the microsoft DAR file from the plugins folder, and then please restart the VCO.

I'll continue digging into this and I'll keep you posted.

Does the Active Directory Plugin only work when the Microsoft plugin isn't installed? Does the new plugin have also exact the same functionality, so I can remove the old plugin without breaking any workflows that may use it? If so, it would be great if there's a hint in the next version of the documentation.

http://blog.mightycare.de http://www.mightycare.de
0 Kudos
ppanicherski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, old Microsoft plugin shouldn't be installed in order AD plugin to work.

0 Kudos
mcssschaefer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ppanicherski schrieb:

Yes, old Microsoft plugin shouldn't be installed in order AD plugin to work.

Okay, thanks. Shoudl be mentinoed in the next version of the user guide.

Does the new plugin have also exact the same functionality, so I can  remove the old plugin without breaking any workflows that may use the functionality of the old plugin?

http://blog.mightycare.de http://www.mightycare.de
0 Kudos