VMware Cloud Community
cam00827
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dynamic Types doesn't show any objects in inventory

Hi

I thought I'd have a look at the new Dynamic Types feature in vCO 5.5.1 after stumbling across this tutorial: Dynamic Types tutorial : Implement your own Twitter plug-in without any scripting, however - I've run into a bit of an issue.

So I've downloaded the Dynamic Types plug-in generator package and run the Create a new plug-in (namespace and matching REST host) - this ran fine and created the namespace and REST Host as expected.  I've then ran the Create a new plug-in type and followed through the user interaction forms and validated all of the received data - this also ran successfully.  My only problem is, no instances of the type created are shown in the Inventory - and there is 100% at least 4 objects being returned from our REST API.  When I manually run the COE->Dynamic Types Plug-in generator->Plug-in-Methods-> FindAll workflow I can see in the logs that it is making the correct objects with the correct id/name - why do these objects not show up inventory?

So moving on from this package I thought I'd use the standard workflows that come with the Dynamic Types plugin, so I added the namespace/type and autogenerated the workflow stubs for the type.  I then went into each of these workflow stubs and filled in the "TO-DO" script with the code to set the appropriate output, e.g. the  Find All xxx.xxx workflow uses the appropriate REST host to get an array of JSON objects from the API, and then iterates over these objects and calls the DynamicTypesManager.makeObject() method, before finally pushing them to the output array.  However this doesn't show any inventory objects either.

In both instances I've reloaded the inventory namespace multiple times and got nothing.  It seems as though the DynamicTypesManager.makeObject() is only making the object in the local scope as I can see that it is creating the correct objects/data types using System.debug, yet they do not show up outside the workflow and in the workflow token attributes they remain unset. 

Is there anything really obvious that I'm missing?/Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

James

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please use Dynamic Types plug-in update from here : Technical preview version of the Dynamic Types plug-in

Ans update the plug-in generator from here : Dynamic Types plug-in generator package

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter

View solution in original post

21 Replies
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would advise to ssh into your appliance and run a tail -f command on the server.log (or use baretail on windows if you have a Windows based vCO).

Then you can open a client and check what happens in the logs when you unfold your namespace. Use F5 to relad your inventory until you find what is going on.

findRelation and hasChildrenInRelation should be called. BTW hasChildrenInRelation in the plug-in generator just call findRelation to check if anything is returned.

If you choose not to use the generator package I worte then you have to be aware objects are not showing up in the inventory if they do not have at least a root parent object.

When you did create the objects there were 2 options to collect the object properties: one was with accessors properties and a second option to use an action. Which one of the 2 did you use ?. Where you able to see the properties extracted properly when running the generator add a type workflow ?.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
cam00827
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So after looking at the server.log, nothing seems out of the ordinary as far as I can see.  There is no errors displayed since the start of execution of the workflow and the final line of output states that the Dynamic type has been updated properly.

You say check what happens in the logs when I unfold my namespace - I can't, my namespace will not unfold - as if there is nothing below it, however I can see in the logs where it is creating the Dynamic Types objects.

When creating the objects, I chose the first option using accessor properties - I could also see that the properties were extracted properly.

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you see objects under the Type Hierarchy in the inventory ?

If so I would recommend to try to:

Close the client connect again, check the inventory again.

If this did not change anything: Restart the vCO service. Open the client again. Unfold the inventory and check the logs to see if findRelation is called and if you have any error.

To troubleshoot you can also run manually the workflows in the plug-in-methods category. These won't populate the inventory (since for this vCO must call them, not you) but at least it would show errors in the logs if any.

0 Kudos
cam00827
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can see the type I've created under the Type Hierarchy in the inventory - so it has obviously created correctly.

I tried your recommendations - restarting the client, restarting the vCO service and noticed that findRelation wasn't called when it started (it had been called previously but not at that point)

I ran each of the workflows manually and didn't get any errors.

I noticed that earlier you mentioned a root parent object, when running the Create a type workflow (from your package) I didn't specify a parent object as it shows none in the selection, I assume this just means the root becomes the parent object?

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The create a type workflow includes creating the root component. In fact it does create a parent folder for each type.

Findrelation should be called when unfolding the namespace in the inventory. Another test you can do to troubleshoot is to create a new workflow with one of the types you defined as input and check if when running the workflow it calls findAll to populate the list of objects to pick from.

I am not sure what your problem is. I asked about restarting the client / server since in 5.5.1 U1 dynamicTypes did not meet QE release quality and was inclued for testing as beta (but I managed to do quite a lot with this version anyway).

Make sure you watch the log files live when interacting with the vCO client to catch anything happening.

PengVCE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Christophe,

It's a nice post you did and I also appreciated very much that you try to help us here (I am just another hopeless ghost here). ^_^

Well, I basically experienced exactly the same as what James went through. Everything seems fine following your post, and the inventory just ended up showing nothing for the types I created. Here are few things I did.

1. For the 2 options to collect the object properties, I defined my own action which just returns an array of Properties. Each Properties defined the keys "id" and "name".

2. I did reload (click the "Reload" button in vCO client), restarted the vCO configuration service, and then restarted the vCO service. Nothing helps, still empty inventory list for my types.

BTW, I did notice that every time I clicked the "Reload" in the vCO client, I did notice that there showed up a little arrow icon right next to my namespace (vCNS and also Vblock). It looked like a hint that there were something underneath, but it expanded into nothing when clicked on it.

vco-client-reload.jpg

Another question I have is about the vCAC (6.0.1) custom resource. Please see the following image. It shows the place where you can define your own custom resources under Advanced Resources in vCAC 6.0.1.

vcac-custom-resources.jpg

I was hoping that I can see the types I defined (e.g. DynamicTypes:vCNS:MyType or DynamicTypes:Vblock:LUN), but the list only shows the following ones regarding DynamicTypes:

DynamicTypes:DynamicNamespaceDefinition

DynamicTypes:DynamicObject

DynamicTypes:DynamicTypeDefinition

DynamicTypes:RootFinder

DynamicTypes:TypeHierarchyRootFolder

DynamicTypes:_Finders

Did I expect the wrong thing?

Your help is really appreciated.

Peng

0 Kudos
PengVCE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BTW, I did find some error messages in vso.log.

Namespace: vCNS

Type Hierarchy: vCNS > MyType

The vso.log:

=======================================================================================

2014-05-07 17:04:33.986-0700 ERROR [SDKEditor] OGNL error : source is null for getProperty(null, "name")

2014-05-07 17:04:34.002-0700 ERROR [SDKEditor] OGNL error : source is null for getProperty(null, "name")

2014-05-07 17:07:11.022-0700 INFO  [Attribute] Cannot convert strong to object #{#DynamicTypes:vCNS.MyType##\[#id#\=#string#fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43#\+#name#\=#string#Execute Command#\+#type#\=#string#MyType#\+#namespace#\=#string#vCNS#\]##;#DynamicTypes:vCNS.MyType##\[#id#\=#string#ffffb6c1-d0e0-4653-9526-41d2e676283a#\+#name#\=#string#Get Storage Profiles#\+#type#\=#string#MyType#\+#namespace#\=#string#vCNS#\]##}#

ch.dunes.model.type.ConvertorException: Corrupted data : '#[#id#=#string#fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43#+#name#=#string#Execute Command#+#type#=#string#MyType#+#namespace#=#string#vCNS#]#'

at ch.dunes.model.sdk.SDKTypeConvertor_remote.toObject(SDKTypeConvertor_remote.java:49)

at ch.dunes.model.type.TypeConverter.toObject(TypeConverter.java:445)

at ch.dunes.model.type.TypeConverter$SharedObjectConvertor.toObject(TypeConverter.java:79)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor$ArrayReader.getObjectFromString(ArrayConvertor.java:279)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor$ArrayReader.readElements(ArrayConvertor.java:197)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor$ArrayReader.readString(ArrayConvertor.java:230)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor$ArrayReader.read(ArrayConvertor.java:145)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor.toObject(ArrayConvertor.java:56)

at ch.dunes.model.Attribute.getValue(Attribute.java:154)

at ch.dunes.model.Attribute.getValue(Attribute.java:121)

at ch.dunes.vso.attributes.editor.AttributeValueLoaderNew$AttributeValueLoadTask.run(AttributeValueLoaderNew.java:103)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: ch.dunes.util.MalformedURIException: Malformed URI : '#[#id#=#string#fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43#+#name#=#string#Execute Command#+#type#=#string#MyType#+#namespace#=#string#vCNS#]#' : Illegal character in fragment at index 2: #[#id#=#string#fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43#+#name#=#string#Execute Command#+#type#=#string#MyType#+#namespace#=#string#vCNS#]#

at ch.dunes.util.URI.<init>(URI.java:48)

at ch.dunes.model.sdk.SDKTypeConvertor_remote.toObject(SDKTypeConvertor_remote.java:40)

... 17 more

2014-05-07 17:09:29.931-0700 INFO  [Application] WARNING : Unable to load image '/ch/dunes/gui/graphics/icons/attribute_16x16.png' on 'com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader'

2014-05-07 17:09:29.931-0700 INFO  [Application]

2014-05-07 17:11:54.825-0700 INFO  [Attribute] Cannot convert strong to object #{#DynamicTypes:vCNS.MyType##\[#id#\=#string#fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43#\+#name#\=#string#Execute Command#\+#type#\=#string#MyType#\+#namespace#\=#string#vCNS#\]##;#DynamicTypes:vCNS.MyType##\[#id#\=#string#ffffb6c1-d0e0-4653-9526-41d2e676283a#\+#name#\=#string#Get Storage Profiles#\+#type#\=#string#MyType#\+#namespace#\=#string#vCNS#\]##}#

ch.dunes.model.type.ConvertorException: Corrupted data : '#[#id#=#string#fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43#+#name#=#string#Execute Command#+#type#=#string#MyType#+#namespace#=#string#vCNS#]#'

at ch.dunes.model.sdk.SDKTypeConvertor_remote.toObject(SDKTypeConvertor_remote.java:49)

at ch.dunes.model.type.TypeConverter$SharedObjectConvertor.toObject(TypeConverter.java:79)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor$ArrayReader.getObjectFromString(ArrayConvertor.java:279)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor$ArrayReader.readElements(ArrayConvertor.java:197)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor$ArrayReader.readString(ArrayConvertor.java:230)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor$ArrayReader.read(ArrayConvertor.java:145)

at ch.dunes.model.type.ArrayConvertor.toObject(ArrayConvertor.java:56)

at ch.dunes.model.Attribute.getValue(Attribute.java:154)

at ch.dunes.model.Attribute.getValue(Attribute.java:121)

at ch.dunes.vso.attributes.editor.AttributeValueLoaderNew$AttributeValueLoadTask.run(AttributeValueLoaderNew.java:103)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: ch.dunes.util.MalformedURIException: Malformed URI : '#[#id#=#string#fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43#+#name#=#string#Execute Command#+#type#=#string#MyType#+#namespace#=#string#vCNS#]#' : Illegal character in fragment at index 2: #[#id#=#string#fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43#+#name#=#string#Execute Command#+#type#=#string#MyType#+#namespace#=#string#vCNS#]#

at ch.dunes.util.URI.<init>(URI.java:48)

at ch.dunes.model.sdk.SDKTypeConvertor_remote.toObject(SDKTypeConvertor_remote.java:40)

... 17 more

0 Kudos
cam00827
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So after following your advice, I set up a new workflow with one of the types I've defined as an input parameter.  On running the workflow and trying to select the value for that type I get two error message one after another in the logs - unable to fetchAll for type, it seems as though the data type being returned isn't exactly what is expected: "Expected output of type Array/DynamicTypes:SOMETYPE, got Array".  Here are the first few lines of the logs for each message:

2014-05-08 08:30:29.340+0000 [http-bio-192.168.60.21-8281-exec-5] WARN  {} [SDKFinder] Unable to execute 'fetchAll' for type : xtr.Message

com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamictypes.util.PluginException: FIND_ALL: Expected an output of type Array/DynamicTypes:SOMETYPE, got Array

at com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamictypes.util.VcoServerFactoryClient.validateOutputParameters(VcoServerFactoryClient.java:236)

at com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamictypes.util.VcoServerFactoryClient.validateFinderActionParameters(VcoServerFactoryClient.java:194)

at com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamictypes.util.VcoServerFactoryClient.executeAction(VcoServerFactoryClient.java:52)

at com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamictypes.repository.DynamicTypesRepository.findAll(DynamicTypesRepository.java:200)

at com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamictypes.model.DynamicTypesManager.findAll(DynamicTypesManager.java:120)

at com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamictypes.DynamicTypesPluginFactory.findAll(DynamicTypesPluginFactory.java:79)

and:

2014-05-08 08:30:29.344+0000 [http-bio-192.168.60.21-8281-exec-5] ERROR {} [VcoDelegatingWebFacade] Server Error...

ch.dunes.model.sdk.SDKFinderException: Unable to execute 'fetchAll' for type : xtr.Message

at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.SDKFinder.logAndThrow(SDKFinder.java:858)

at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.SDKFinder.fetchAll(SDKFinder.java:207)

at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.SDKFinder.findAll(SDKFinder.java:170)

at ch.dunes.vso.sdk.ModulesFactory.find(ModulesFactory.java:494)

at com.vmware.o11n.sdk.EnhancedScriptingSDK.find(EnhancedScriptingSDK.java:89)

at com.vmware.o11n.service.sdk.SdkModuleServiceImpl.find(SdkModuleServiceImpl.java:39)

at com.vmware.o11n.service.factory.VcoFactoryFacade.find(VcoFactoryFacade.java:1597)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.o11n.service.security.AccessRightsInterceptor.invoke(AccessRightsInterceptor.java:92)

at com.vmware.o11n.service.security.AccessRightsInterceptor.invoke(AccessRightsInterceptor.java:83)

at com.vmware.o11n.service.webremoting.VcoDelegatingWebFacade.invokeOperation(VcoDelegatingWebFacade.java:106)

at com.vmware.o11n.integration.initialization.VcoFactoryServiceFacadeProxy.invokeOperation(VcoFactoryServiceFacadeProxy.java:86)

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I do not have an exact answer on why you don't see the objects listed but I can share what I know:

- Start with a single namespace : There is a bug in the version you have where basically each of the root objects are listed in each of the namespace. Opening a single namespace and loading all root objects is making it difficult to troubleshoot.

- For the vCAC custom resource I have been told the refresh time is 10 minutes. I have asked if this could be changed. This is not the case in vCAC 6.01 but there is a feature request for being able to set a different time. I don't think I ever waited 10 minutes after creating a new type anyway. What I did was restarting my vCAC server and the list was updated.

- With the version of the plug-in you have the request will stay pending. This is a known issue that was fixed after the release you have.

- For the error you get. Are you sure you the actions bound to findRelation and find all return an array of properties and that for findForId a single Properties object ? (you mention "I defined my own action which just returns an array of Properties").

- To troubleshoot you can re-create the types with my workflow with updating the attribute in my workflow that set the findRelation from "action" to "workflow". This has the advantage of seing the workflow runs failing when the issue is in findRelation.

I am looking into making a workflow to allow to package a dynamictype plug-in but also the REST requests, and everything else needed. This would help to provide an example of working plug-ins that could be then used and expanded. However I am using newer, internal version of the DynamicTypes plug-in to leverage some of the new features and fixes. I am involved in a number of important projects so I have not much time for having this ready very soon and working with the Beta version of DynamicTypes. Also it may break with the new updates that yet have to be done on the plug-in.

I am not sure if the issues you are having are because of bugs in the plug-in or because of something going wrong either in my workflows or in the actions you created.

You may be able to get an updated preview release via GSS. I will get in touch with engineering to see if this could be posted here but I cannot promise it will.

I hope this helps.

cam00827
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would there be anything obvious as to why fetchAll seems to be returning the wrong type and throwing an error as shown in the logs I've listed above?

Thanks

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you could attach the actions you use here I can have a look.

0 Kudos
cam00827
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Personally I'm not using any actions, just the plugin methods from your package, I did a search on my action list and couldn't find any fetchAll so I'm assuming the error is coming from lower down in the plugin Java code.  Essentially it seems the method fetchAll is throwing an error because is expecting to receive an array of DynamicTypes:SOMEOBJECT but instead gets a generic or empty array.

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When creating an object, by default my workflow will try to determine object properties and display something like this:

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 14.42.20.png

If the field is empty, or if the properties are not matching it is because the JSON file that was returned does not have the structure I am expecting (an array of objects). It is then necessary to use an action that will have for input a jSON string and for output an array of custom properties for findAll and findRelation and another action having a properties object as output for findById. I am providing a template action called getObjectsPropertiesfromJson and another one getObjectPropertiesFromJson. You may have to duplicate it and do your own to adapt to the returned object structure.

If properties accessors or the action are working as expected on the next screen you should see something like this:

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 14.43.19.png

Which must include an ID (that must be unique for this object type) and a name property.

If this is the case for you and you still have the error you can add logs in the getDynamicObjectFormProperties action to make sure the objects are created properly.

0 Kudos
PengVCE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your replies.

Here is my story:

1. I could not make the Twitter rest host work. So I added a vCO rest host.

2. The rest url to get all workflows: api/workflows. It is the same rest api I used for findAll and findRelation. The response is a huge list (# of workflows: 823) and is not in the right format. So I used my action to return a shorter list of workflows (just 2 items).

3. The rest url to get specific workflow: api/workflows/{id}, id: the workflow unique id. This is for findById. The response is in the right format so I did NOT use any custom functions.

The following is my action for the properties accessors.

================================================================

var props = new Array();

var p1 = new Properties();

p1.put("id", "fec66743-9c8c-4816-86f7-0c8d27ea3c43");

p1.put("name", "Execute Command");

p1.put("type", "MyType");

p1.put("text", "for testing");

p1.put("user", "cloudadmin");

props.push(p1);

var p2 = new Properties();

p2.put("id", "ffffb6c1-d0e0-4653-9526-41d2e676283a");

p2.put("name", "Get Storage Profiles");

p2.put("type", "MyType");

p2.put("text", "for testing");

p2.put("user", "cloudadmin");

props.push(p2);

return props;

================================================================

Thank you very much,

Peng

0 Kudos
PengVCE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BTW, Chris, after restarting the vCO appliance, reset default tenant password, re-sync the time, and restart vCAC IaaS service, I could see all my types from within vCAC.

Thank you very much for the hints you gave in the post.

- Peng

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You got lucky since I already implemented the action to get vCO workflow properties as a test. Find it attached.

Tomorrow I will set up a 5.5.1 GA appliance and test with it so I can find out if anything is going wrong.

PengVCE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for this piece of code. It works very well and does parse all the properties. Well, there was a typo. This line "var link = object.link;" should be "var link = object.links;". It should be "links" instead of "link".

But the problem is still there. None of the objects of my defined type showed up in the inventory under my namespace.

Thanks,

Peng

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately it seems that the build of DynamicTypes that was shipped in 5.5 U1 as beta quality may have a regression preventing from unfolding the objects under the namespace. I could reproduce the issue testing with the 5.5 U1 appliance and it was fixed with updating it with the build of the Dynamictypes I use extensively.

I have reached out to VMware product management & engineering to request if I could make available the build I have. I will keep you posted.

Christophe.

cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please use Dynamic Types plug-in update from here : Technical preview version of the Dynamic Types plug-in

Ans update the plug-in generator from here : Dynamic Types plug-in generator package