VMware Cloud Community
philk33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Copy file from vCO to guest and windows 10 issues?

I'm trying to test a simple copy file operation from VCO to guest, I get this error:

Error in (Workflow:Copy file from vCO to guest / Scriptable task (item1)#11) Unable to access file C:\Patching.zip

[2018-01-25 12:50:38.302] [E] Workflow execution stack:

item: 'Copy file from vCO to guest/item1', state: 'failed', business state: 'null', exception: 'Unable to access file C:\Patching.zip (Workflow:Copy file from vCO to guest / Scriptable task (item1)#11)'

workflow: 'Copy All Files To Parent VMs' (0cceadcc-3853-44f3-9131-76dd9ec8a04f)

It seemed to copy over to all my windows 7 parent images we have, however it didn't copy over to the Windows 10 image with the above error. I checked the security tab on the C:\ drive and it is the same as all other C:\ drives on the windows 7 machines.

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is not a workflow issue, but result of some UAC hardening in recent Windows versions. You can quickly check this if you try to copy some file to C:\ root folder manually using Windows Explorer; most likely you'll get a dialog asking to elevate permissions.

To workaround it, one option would be to disable UAC. Run the Windows regedit tool, navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, and change the value of key EnableLUA from 1 to 0. After that, you'll need to restart Windows for change to take effect.

Another option would be to not use C:\ root folder but some other folder where you have permissions by default; eg. C:\Windows\<username>\

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is not a workflow issue, but result of some UAC hardening in recent Windows versions. You can quickly check this if you try to copy some file to C:\ root folder manually using Windows Explorer; most likely you'll get a dialog asking to elevate permissions.

To workaround it, one option would be to disable UAC. Run the Windows regedit tool, navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, and change the value of key EnableLUA from 1 to 0. After that, you'll need to restart Windows for change to take effect.

Another option would be to not use C:\ root folder but some other folder where you have permissions by default; eg. C:\Windows\<username>\

0 Kudos
philk33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interestingly enough, my master workflow included creating a directory on the windows machine, then placing the scripts in it. Not sure why I didn't remember why we do this.

Thanks...

0 Kudos