VMware Cloud Community
power13
Contributor
Contributor

Clone Windows VM with workflow, input type VC:Network vs. VC:DistributedVirtualPortgroup

Hi everyone,

I cloned a Windows VM with the workflow "Clone, Windows Sysprep with single NIC and credential", where I could select a distributed virtual portgroup as the network. This worked successfully.

Then I moved the input parameter network of type VC:Network to an attribute. There i tried to select a distributed virtual portgroup and the select button was greyed out. Obviously this does not work, because the attribute is of the type VC:Network instead of the type VC:DistributedVirtualPortgroup.

As I could select a distributed virtual portgroup as the parameter was an input parameter, I guess there is somehow a "compatibility" between VC:Network and VC:DistributedVirtualPortgroup. Is VC:DistributedVirtualPortgroup a "subclass" of VC:Network?

As I have seen, I can assign a variable of type VC:Network a variable of type VC:DistributedVirtualPortgroup and it seems to work. Should this be used like this or is it a total ugly way and there is a nicer solution?

I am using vRealize Orchestrator version 7.

Best regards,

power13

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mlapeyre
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it should be used like this because there is an inheritance like between VC:network and VC:distributedvirtualportgroup, that's why a VC:distributedvirtualportgroup can be used as a VC:network.

Source:  https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk400pubs/ReferenceGuide/vim.dvs.DistributedVirtu... (extends link)

0 Kudos