VMware Cloud Community
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Clone, Linux with single NIC and SLES 15

I'm facing strange behaviour.

I have created SLES 15 template (VM version 11, configured as Linux/SLES12). When I clone and customize it with "Clone, Linux with single NIC", the VM is cloned, OS is correctly customized, but OS is marked as Other/Mac OS X 10.10 (64 bit).

I'm using the workflow for ages (for sles 11 and sles 12), and it always worked well.

I went through Orchestrator/vCenter/VMtools logs, but can't see any error there.

When I use slimple cloning WF (without customization) then cloned VM is marked as expected (Linux/SLES12).

Using Orchestrator 7.4.0.

Somebody of you have an idea, what could be wrong?

Thank you for every hint

Martin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think support for SLES 15 came a bit later, with vCenter 6.7 (but I might be mistaken). If so, then I suppose the workflow just falls back to one of the available options, in this particular case Other/Mac.

BTW, when you start the workflow 'Create custom virtual machine', do you see SLES 15 as an option in the 'Virtual machine guest OS' dropdown?

0 Kudos
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

'Create custom virtual machine' provides sles15_64Guest, so vRO knows about the OS.

Newest SLES for virtual HW 11 is SLES 12. Question is, why is the workflow re-writing it, instead of simply cloning existing setting from the template.

0 Kudos
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I guess, root cause are open-vm-tools distributed with SLES 15.

VM.config.guestId returns sles12_64Guest and VM.config.guestFullName returns SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (64-bit), as expected.

But, VM.guest.guestFamily returns otherGuestFamily.

Just for curiosity, Flash client is showing Linux/SLES12, HTML5 client is showing Other/MacOS.

0 Kudos
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the end found out that /etc/resolv.conf is not regular file, but link pointing to somewhere...

Deleting the link and creating normal text file with normal content workarounded the issue.

At least works like that for SLES 15 SP1.

0 Kudos